Chapter 21 - Revelations

It isn't until the last day of school, before Christmas break, that George gets involves and shakes me. Not literally but metaphorically. Truthfully, I was slowly waking up all on my own but I needed the closest person to me to help push me over the edge. It was all the jeans (I like jeans, I just don't like feeling I have to wear jeans), the make up (I wear make up, yes, but I didn't like being told I needed to have on), and the separation from George (I didn't want or need it). In the last few weeks, I'd noticed how many other friend's Kate had. Not that it's a bad thing to be social, I could definitely use more of her social skills, but I had seen how many different groups she dipped in and out of. Sometimes I'd watch her with them just out of interest and intrigue. Like when she was with me, Kate gave out bobbles, shared make up, and offered plenty of advice. On paper she's the best friend you can have, in real life it's more complicated than that. The conclusion I had come to is that she liked changing people, altering them into something and someone else.

"Luna," George sighs. Honestly, he sounds a little awkward and looks almost embarrassed at the conversation, "She's toxic. You're smart enough to see that. Why aren't you... I don't know, saying anything to her?"

Nodding my head along with his words, I lean my head on his shoulder. It was rare George ever engaged in a conversation including her never mind starting one about her. "It's just..."

When it looks like I'm not going to continue, which is true since I don't want to say the words out loud, George takes over, "It's just she's a girl and your friend, right?"

I wait a moment before nodding. It sounded worse coming from him, it sounded almost pathetic. Exhaling, I think about his answer. Why did that mean so much to me? Why was that so important to me? Why couldn't I let it go and be happy with what I had? Who I had? I know George is probably thinking these things at the same time I am but I also know he won't ask. How do I explain my deepest, darkest thoughts? How do I tell him that I think I repel females? My own mother ran away from me. After all this time, how do I lightly insert that information into a conversation?

"She's just another person, Luna," he turns slightly to face me, "There'll be more girls, more friends, and well, not to be that person but, you have me. And my friends."

I sink down a little on our bench, "I know, I know," George runs a hand over my hair, "I'm being silly, I know."

"You're not being silly. She's mentally abusive, she—"

"Luna!" Kate's sharp call interrupts us and a sudden anxiety runs through me knowing I'm going to have to deal with this now. "Why didn't you meet me this morning?" She throws her hands in the air while asking. When she reaches us, her eyes zoom in on the skirt I have on before shifting to a not-friendly looking George.

"Uh—"

George interrupts me this time and I worry this conversation isn't going to go as... nicely as I would like it to. His raspy voice is directed at her for, maybe, the first time, "Leave her alone."

It takes a second but there's an instant change in her expression. Kate's face tightens, a glare directed at the boy beside me, which makes me sit upright. The air grows thick at the growing tension between the two and a sudden realisation washes over me. Something was very wrong here.

"Oh," she scoffs, "now you want to talk to me?"

I know the question is for George but I can't help asking, "Did you... Do you guys know each other?"

Kate rolls her eyes and I flush in embarrassment. Was that a silly question? "We go to the same school. Of course we know each other."

George tenses. Oh crap. For some reason, I'm filled with an unknown and ugly feeling. Perhaps it's hot embarrassment from being the only one in the dark here. "That's not what I meant and you know it."