office

"Did you really think you were going to get away with this?" the principal, Mr. Clean, yells, looking straight at me. "Did you really think you were going to pull this off?"

"Um," Fetus says with a trembly voice. "I wasn't involved in this-"

"Shush!" he interrupts. "Let me speak."

She looks down. I look at Sock, who was also looking down at the floor. 

"I knew something was wrong from the moment I saw you three enter the school early. During lunch, I get a report saying you all were taking way too long in your lockers. I went upstairs, but you already left. I decided to shrug it off. I then see Sock flirting with the janitor and KNEW there was something wrong. Just as I was making my way downstairs, I hear the fire alarm. I run to see a CAT in the middle of the hallways. I checked the cameras and saw it all led to YOU. Kayleen, this is completely inappropriate. I expected more from you."

There was a moment of silence. 

"So, can I go now?" Fetus softly asks. 

"No!"

"Okay,"

"Sock, you are suspended for a week. You were obviously part of this plan, and flirting with a married man is just disgusting."

Sock stands up quickly. "Wait, you won't tell my parents, right?"

"I'm sorry, but they need to know."

Sock sighs, looking down on the floor. 

"Fetus, I am aware that you weren't as involved. However, you did help hide the cat, and you knew what was going on and never told any of the staff.  For this, I will have to suspend you for three days."

He turns himself towards me and his expression stiffens. "And you. Not only did you turn on the fire alarm, but you tried to hack into school property. Not just that, but you brought a cat, which is a potential risk for those who have allergies. I have no choice but to expel you."

I rose off my seat, alarmed. "But sir! It's all a misunderstanding-"

"Save it," he says, lifting his hand up. "I will contact your parents immediately. For now, you three sit here and wait."

♣♣♣

We all sat there in silence. Sock was tapping her feet on the floor, while Fetus picked the skin off her lip. I groan. 

"Sock, can you keep it down?" I ask lowly.

"Keep it down? You want me to keep it DOWN?" she yells. "I AM NO LONGER FOLLOWING ORDERS FROM YOU. LAST TIME I DID, I GOT FREAKING SUSPENDED-"

"Ladies! Enough," a woman yells, walking in. Behind her was a familiar face. Except it was beaten up. 

Is that Alen?

"Take a seat there," the woman points, slightly pushing Alen towards the empty seat next to me. He sits down and looks straight at the wall. I see Sock getting up as soon as she saw her parents. They both looked disappointed yet furious. Without a word, they all left. 

I didn't like the energy in the room. It was super depressing. Computer tapping, telephone noises. Typical office sounds. 

"What'cha in for?" I ask, observing all of the bruises around Alen. He had an icepack over his right eye. He didn't even make eye contact when I spoke. 

"What do you think?" he says, leaning back on his chair. 

"Geez, all I did was ask a question,"

It was silent for a minute. I sure did hate office sounds. 

"How did you even get in a fight if the fire alarm went off?"

He looks at me and scoffs, breaking eye contact and looking at the wall. 

"None of your business,"

"Why can't you tell me?"

"Because I don't want to. Leave me alone."

I cross my arms. 

"So edgy," I mutter under my breath. 

"Excuse me?" he asks, quickly turning his attention towards me. 

"Can you both stop acting like a married couple?" Fetus snaps, annoyed. 

"Us, pfft," I make a limp wrist gesture as we look at each other. 

"Never," he says, crossing his arms and looking away. 

"Gee, I never said you were," Fetus slightly smirks. "Just told you to stop acting like a married couple,"

It was silent once more. I placed my hands in my sweater pockets and looked at the ceiling. One of the lights were broken, flickering every second. 

The silence broke once my mom entered the room. Her face was red and her knuckles were white from the strong fist she was making. Behind her was my dad, who was just standing there in bad posture like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo. 

"KAYLEEN," my mother yells, making everyone in the silent office jump at the sudden noise. "HOW DARE YOU GET YOURSELF EXPELLED. I KNEW YOU WEREN'T READY FOR A CAT. AND TURNING ON THE FIRE ALARM? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

I looked at her with a neutral expression. If I act like I don't care, she'll probably end up losing. 

"GET UP," she yells, grabbing my sleeve. I got up and looked at Alen, who was holding in a laugh. My mother, who saw me look at the boy, looked as well, noticing what was going on. She turned even redder then before and let me go, turning her attention to him. Alen looked up at her and stopped smiling. 

"ARE YOU REALLY LAUGHING RIGHT NOW? LOOK AT YOURSELF. YOU LOOK LIKE A GODDAMN BEET WITH THAT FACE. LET ME GUESS, YOU GOT IN A FIGHT? RIDICULOUS. YOU LITTLE BOYS THESE DAYS THINKING YOU HAVE A GOD COMPLEX WITH THESE FIGHTS. I BET YOUR BALLS HAVEN'T DROPPED YET-"

"Ma'am!" Mr. Clean walks in, pushing her a bit more distant from Alen. "Please, do not harass our student."

My mom looked at his bald head. As he left, I heard her mutter under her breath. 

"Egghead."