phone call(s)

I logged into discord and opened the class chat. No one has said anything in a month. 

I sigh, rolling around my chair. I really messed up this time. 

"Kayleen," my dad says as he knocks on the open door. 

"Yeah?"

"It's time."

♣♣♣

My mom parks the car in front of the animal shelter. I scoop Marki off the car seat and get off. I observe the animal shelter. My parents were making their way to the entrance while I continued to look at the building. 

"C'mon," my mom turns towards me before turning back, continuing to walk. 

"Coming," I reply, taking a deep breath in before catching up. 

Entering the shelter, I heard all of the cries of the animals. Dogs barking and whimpering. Cats hissing and wailing. My ears couldn't take it. 

As my parents talked to the front desk manager, I quietly made my way out the front door. Once I was out, I made a run for it. 

I should run away. Run away and make a new identity. Make a business. Live in a small house. It's possible, right? Maybe if I can just get some money-

"Hey!" my mom yells, running to catch up to me. Her flip flops were slowing her down, giving me more time to make a choice. 

I finally came to the conclusion that I would run away. But right as I was on my way to achieving it, Marki bit my hand. I flinch, accidentally letting go of him. He crosses a street right as a truck was passing by. I gasped and covered my eyes, not wanting to see whatever violent event would happen instead. 

But somehow, he made it. I opened my eyes slightly to see him looking at me from across the street. The cat turns around walking away. He looks back at me one more time before running off to who knows where. 

I chuckled, admiring the wholesome moment. I stopped as soon as I remembered what Justin told me the day he gave him to me. 

"If you don't want him, just please make sure he gets into a safe home."

Crap. 

I ran across the street and headed my way towards the cat. I thought I would have to chase him through some dark, mysterious forest when really he was just sitting on a curb. 

I scoop him up and look at my mother, who was staring at me. She was panting, probably from running with cheap flip-flops. 

I slowly walk towards my mother, who continued to stand there. As I got closer, I noticed she was tapping her for impatiently. She crossed her arms and made her way towards me. 

I smiled nervously as I approached her. "Uh, hi?"

She chuckles. I continue to look nervously as I pet the cat. 

"So, are you not mad at me?"

She scoffs. "Mad? Of course. But I know we can't leave that poor cat in that horrid place."

She places her hand on my shoulder and we start walking towards the car. 

"I'm giving you 24 hours to find a home for that cat. Understood?"

I nod. We both get in the car and wait for my dad to walk in. 

♣♣♣

I decided to call Sock. It rang once before it led me directly to voicemail. I slam my desk and groan, pulling my hair back. I look at my phone and dial her once more. I sent her a message saying it's an emergency. 

"What?" a voice says through the phone. I get up quickly, realizing she finally answered. 

"Sock, I need you to do me a favor!"

"No."

"Please, it's important!"

She groans, "Are you dying?"

"What, no-"

"Then I bet it's not important-"

"It's about the cat!" I interrupt, yelling loudly. She stays silent for a while before replying. 

"What about it?"

"I need to find a home for him,"

"Just take him to the shelter-"

"I would, but Justin told me-"

I stopped. Shoot. I forgot they didn't know this was Justin's cat.

"Huh? Justin? Did I hear you right?" she chuckles lightly. 

"What? No, I said 'Austin.' Y'know, the guy that gave us the cat?"

"Yeah right,"

"It's true! Tell me, what would Justin have to do with this?"

"Well, his friends were talking about a cat he once had,"

I stay silent for a while. 

"Well, this isn't his cat-"

"WHATEVER! JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU NEED OR ELSE I'M HANGING UP,"

"Okay, fine! I need you to take care of him. At least until I find a good home for him."

"Keeping promises for your boyfriend, eh?"

"I'm serious,"

"Okay, fine, fine. I'll do it. But you owe me a big one,"

"Fine."

It was silent once more. 

"Hey, by the way, sorry for-"

I was interrupted by a few beeps. Great. She hung up. 

Obviously she couldn't forgive me that quickly. I mean, I did get her suspended, so I don't blame her. 

But at the same time, can't she realize it was partially her fault too?

I started to pack Marki's food in a cardboard box, along with his food and water bowl. I also added some toys. Once the box was full, I threw myself onto the bed, taking a deep breath. I heard my mom yelling at whoever she was on the phone with. She's been going on about it for the past hour. 

All of a sudden, my mother storms in my room. 

"You're in!"

I get up in confusion. "What?"

"School! I got you back into school!"