hug

I hop off the Uber and walk towards my house. I decide to sit down on the front porch. I didn't want my mom to ask me a million questions about Prom.

I look at the rose bushes and chuckle to myself. All of the memories with those bushes. I'm surprised they're still alive.

A few seconds later, I start to scratch my leg. This one spot kept itching, and then another one, and then another one. I then realized a mosquito was having a feast on my skin, so I just entered my apartment and decided to be as silent as I could.

I failed. My mom heard me.

God, it's like a reflex they have.

"Kayleen?" my mother yells, walking to the front door.

"Yeah, it's me," I grumble, taking off the uncomfortable heels I had on.

"How was it-"

"Fine," I interrupt, running to my room. Right now I just wanted to lay down after all of that running.

I finally changed into my pajamas and went to my bed when all of a sudden I couldn't sleep. I was sweaty and felt terrible. I got up and decided to watch a bit of YouTube on my laptop. I decided to check my emails for the first time in forever. Dang, was I really that bored?

I had over 1,000 emails. I scanned through my emails. Amazon order, Netflix subscription, Justin McHotty, new assignment, WAIT. Justin?

Subject: hi
mchottinson0@gmail.com           
To me 🠻

05-02-21

Kayleen,
     How have you been? I hope you're well. I'm not. The apartment here is terrible. Every time I get up for a sip of water at 12am, there's cockroaches feasting on the counters. The house reeks of rotten eggs. The yellow lights make it look like a haunted motel.
Surely you don't care about this, but I think it seems quite relaxing letting some of it out.

Please reach out to me. I want to know how Marki's doing.

-Justin

I felt bad now. He sent me an email and I never replied. I felt even worse than before, and more wide awake than ever.

Justin literally came from wherever his new house was to here just to spend the Prom night with me. And I ran away. He's been so kind and I never even acknowledged it. How could I be so selfish?

What if it was Justin this whole time? I mean, what has Alen actually done for me? Sure, he's saved my life a few times, but was he as kind as Justin?

This year is the last year I'll probably see all of my friends. I might have to make a choice before everyone disappears from my life.

♣♣♣

I waved at Fetus and Sock, who were waiting for me in our typical spot: the school benches. I run to them and laugh, looking at how they looked.

"You look like you're balding!" I chuckle, slapping the top of each one's graduation caps.

"Well you look bald!" Sock replies.

She is right in a way. I was wearing a ponytail, so none of my hair actually showed. I quickly took off the scrunchie on my hair and styled it a bit.

Today was Graduation night. It was finally time. Well, it's not that special. Most of us are going to college, which is just more school. I imagined it to be memorable but honestly I think it's overhyped.