back home

Eight years later

I walk peacefully, my heels splashing on the puddles of rain on the cement. I hold the umbrella firmly, making sure none of my clothes get wet. I look at the road, full of cars and their windshields with water drops covering their view. I notice a bright, yellow car and start to sprint, ruining my peace.

"Taxi!" I yell, trying to run with my large heels. The cab slowly starts to park itself by the sidewalk, waiting for me to catch up. I attempt to close my umbrella, but the switch was stuck. I groan, entering the cab with the open umbrella, sprinkling water everywhere and making the car wet. The driver looks back with a disgusted face.

After a good ten minutes, the cab arrived at my studio. I hand him a few dollar bills and get off, struggling to take the umbrella out of the car. I enter the apartment and get inside the elevator, just in time before the doors closed. I got out and reach for my pockets, taking out my keys.

I hear the house phone ringing inside and quickly try to open the door, but I kept getting the wrong key. I continue to fiddle with the keys, trying to insert the right one but I always seem to forget.

Finally, the door opens. I rush to the phone when the ringing stops, starting a voicemail.

"Hi Kayleen, it's Sock, remember? I wanted to talk, can you call me back as soon as possible? Thanks!"

I pick up the phone and dial back. To my surprise, she didn't answer immediately. It took a few rings before I heard her voice.

"Hello?" I yell, trying to listen closely.

"Kayleen?"

"Sock?"

"Oh my god, hi!" she replies excitedly. "How have you been?"

"Pretty good, good. I got your message, what's up?"

Sock sighs through the phone. I frown, a million things coming up to my head. Is she going to deliver bad news?

"Well," she starts, sounding very down. "I've reached out to you because..."

She stops for a while. I take a seat, trembling and sweating.

"I'M GETTING MARRIED!" she screams, causing me to throw my phone from the sudden noise. I laugh, picking up my phone and taking my seat again.

"What?!" I exclaim, smiling to myself. "With who?"

"Levi, of course!"

"Wow, I never thought it would last that long."

"Hey!"

"Sorry,"

"Anyways," she takes a breath after all of the yelling. "So I'm getting married, obviously, and I wanted to invite you, so yeah.

"But anyways, enough about me, tell me about your life."

"Oh, c'mon," I insist. "It's your special moment. We'll catch up some other time. Right now I need to know about this wedding."

"Oh, well Levi and I decided it would be best to host it back in New York. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem since, you know, you live in San Diego now-"