Chapter 18- Turning the Page

Author's Note: I wrote this entire chapter and then later realized it is all in present tense. I just finished reading a really excellent novel ("We are Lost and Found" - please comment if you read it too!), and it was written in present tense. Sorry if it feels out of place.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"But your dorms are open, right?" Mom asks me with confusion.

"They are, but um..." I don't know how to finish the sentence.

"He's working on projects in my place and he has a few other jobs lined up in the building. And the guy they moved into his room; complete party boy. It's not a good match and you know Ezra hates to confront people." Anderson jumps in.

"Right! I couldn't sleep there." I sound a little too desperate in my proclamation.

We're having dinner with my parents. They came early to celebrate my birthday since Anderson is taking me out of town next week.

We met up at an Afghani place my parents love. It's pretty international for my simple parents from the Central Valley, but they grew up near Hayward and there's a ton of Afghans around there. My parents feel super cosmopolitan going to places like this. But in all honesty, it's just meat and rice with new spices. It's tasty though.

"Honey, if you want to live with your boyfriend, no one's going to judge you." Mom chuckles at the show we're putting on. Dad tears off a hunk of the Noni bread and looks up suddenly.

"Can we order more of these dumplings? They're really good. Glad I went to the gym this morning." Dad tries to change the subject, but mom puts her hand on his.

"No more or you'll get indigestion. Anderson has cake for us back at his place... or their place?" Mom veers us right back into the awkward discussion.

"I don't know. We're still thinking about it." I finally say after a long pause.

"About the cake?" Dad asks with a disappointed tone. He loves cake and they rarely eat sugar.

"About our living situation. I mean my summer classes are online so I don't really need to be on campus. This way I can work and study," I tell them.

"Good then you can come home for the summer! Your Uncle Reggie could use your help in the shop. He's paying ten bucks an hour for new guys." Dad encourages.

"I am not going to spend the summer in a hot barn fixing old furniture." I argue.

"Of course you're not. You should be here in the city, enjoying yourself and figuring things out with your new guy. I'm sure there's concerts and festivals and all kinds of crazy fun." Mom smiles.

"Fine. If no one wants my input then I'm ordering more dumplings," Dad grumbles.

"You can order whatever you want, sir," Anderson assures.

"Oh no you don't. You paid for dinner last time, and this time is our treat. Besides, I'm sure Ezra has already tripled your grocery bill. My boys are bottomless pits when it comes to food," dad beams at Anderson.

"I don't know what I'm doing. I don't even know if I want to be a dentist. I just picked something that had a grant attached. I'm such a wreck. I'm trying to work and pay bills and study and..." I start to ramble, but she cuts me off.

"Sweetie, you're going to be 20 years old next week. You know what people expect of 20 year olds?" Mom puts her hand on mine and leans towards me.

"What?" I lift my fork, unsure where this is going.

"Way too damn much! You really pulled up your grades this semester, and worked a full time job and provided for yourself without asking us for a dime. You're figuring out life in the big city without running to us for every little thing like your brothers did. I am so proud of you. Take a break and have some fun. Go on your trip and explore new things. You don't even know how much I want for your happiness. You can't imagine how proud I am of you." Mom reaches up and pushes back a stray patch of my hair.