9

When Clayton reached the porch, he stopped and looked out at the pack lands. Warriors lay strewn about the land, many injured. Footsteps behind him announced the rest of the group from the basement were joining him on the porch.

"This is a huge mess," Alpha Richards stated as he looked at all the warriors, both man and wolf alike.

"A huge mess that could've been avoided if you hadn't threatened me," Clayton retorted. "Your son is as much at fault for not telling you the truth in the first place."

"I'll handle that issue after you all leave."

Suddenly, someone came running up to the porch.

"Clay! Is Jack alright?!"

"Emerson Hayes?!" Alpha Richards exclaimed, shocked. Everyone else was shocked as well, save for two.

"Papa, I'm fine," Jackson said to Emerson, before turning his head to smile at his mate. "Clayton saved me."

Emerson let out a sigh of relief before turning to face Alpha Richards, a scowl on his face.

"Emerson, is that really you?" the shocked Alpha whispered.

"Of course it's me, who else would I be?"

"The last thing I heard about you was that you'd gone catatonic after your mate's death and Clayton took over as Alpha."

"All of that is true. It took a very special young man to bring me out of the state I was in." Emerson glanced at Jackson still in his son's arms. "He reminded me of happier times and pulled me from the darkness."

Emerson took a few steps closer to the group and stated, "There's something I've been meaning to do since I was last here, especially after hearing about what happened with Alpha Jacobs of Red Dawn." He got right up to Alpha Richards's face, and punched him in the nose, causing it to break and knocking him to the ground. "Don't you ever try to persuade a treaty to go your way by using a child as a bargaining chip again! You are a disgrace of a shifter and a disappointment to Alphas!" With that, Emerson turned on his heel and started walking back home, leaving an extremely shocked audience behind him.

"Papa is a badass!" Jackson exclaimed, making everyone laugh.

With that, the Crimson Blood Alpha withdrew his warriors as well as the loaned Red Dawn warriors, and headed for home in his father's wake.

"Wait!"

Clayton turned around at the voice, adjusting his hold on Jackson to be a bit more comfortable.

Jackson's parents ran up to them.

"You're really leaving?" Sarah asked, voice breaking slightly and tears brimming.

"I can't stay here, Mom. I have my own pack to run, I'm the Lunos, I can't just pass my job to someone else just because you don't want to let me go," Jackson replied. He tapped Clayton's arm and exchanged a silent conversation with him, resulting in Clayton putting him down. "I love you, Mom, but I'm not staying here. Especially not when my mate is somewhere else." Jackson gave his mother a hug before turning around with Clayton and walking toward the forest holding his mate's hand.

•••

Two months later...

"Are you sure we have everything ready for the twins?" Jackson asked for the millionth time in the last couple days. It was almost time for the twins' arrival, and both new parents were anxious.

"I'm absolutely positive we have everything we could possibly need. Why don't you sit down for a minute and relax? You've been on your feet fir the last two hours," Clayton said in response, attempting, not for the first time, to get Jackson to rest for a little bit.