Chapter III

Estrid-
"Are you alright?" I say to the ragged man in front of me. I shake his shoulder and he snaps out of it. "Are you okay?" I ask again.
He looks around before his eyes settle on mine.
"Y-yes. I am fine. I'd like to go back to my cell." He stands up and paces while I stand myself.

"Before you go, who am I to you?" He looks back to me, his eyes revealing great sorrow.
"Nothing but a faint memory." It is silent as his words sink in. He then hesitantly leaves. Athel is down the hall, so he will get him back to his cell. This meeting did not go as planned. I was hoping to get many more answers from him. I retreat back to my bedroom where Brutus is sleeping. I quietly slip into bed with him. As hard as I try, I find it hard to sleep. My mind continues ruminating about the strange man.
Who is he?

Magnus-
I am taken back to my cell silently. As soon as the guard leaves, I set the watch for before she had met my dad. I need to find out what happened. Clearly my mother must have some inkling that something is wrong. Otherwise she would not be so interested in me. As I'm about to hit the activation button, Floki wakes up. I drop my arm. I don't need to have Floki on my back about disappearing into thin air. He'd call me an enemy of the gods or some shit. I sink to the floor.

"So, how do we get out of here Björn?" He looks around and realizes everyone else is asleep except me. "Oh."
I watch him and he watches me. We stare at each other for what feels like hours, but is most likely just a few seconds. Finally, he ends the eye contact.
"So Fenrir, who is your father?"
"His name is Eric." He smiles mischievously.
"You say Estrid is your mother, but I know she never knew an Eric." Irritation rises in me. I look back to him.
"What is the problem Floki? Hard to think she fucked another man? After all, I know you liked her." I tease him, causing anger to flare in his eyes. He takes a step toward me.
"Enough." The Seer's voice causes us to freeze. Floki makes a noise of annoyance as he settles against the bars. If Floki will obey commands from anybody, it's The Seer. The day drags on and all that happened was a guard bringing us lunch.
"We must do something!" Thorsten shouts to Björn.
"Yes, yes. We will figure something out." The door opens with a loud groan. Guards flood in and push us toward the kings court. When we enter, I find many men in high places. There is a high priest standing next to the king.
We are all put on our knees in a line. This is a trial.

"I have decided!" The king announces. "You all are to be of service in our armies. If you misbehave, you will be punished and put in prison. If any further trouble, you will be crucified. Now leave me." We are being led out as I hear his voice once again. "Except for the white haired one. He is to be my personal servant." I grit my teeth as they separate me from the others. I am left alone with the king and queen.
"I have heard much about you." The king stands with a welcoming posture. He undoes my bonds. I turn to him.
"Let's skip the pleasantries, yeah?" His cold eyes find mine. My glare is just as menacing.
"Estrid!" She hesitates at his loud shout.
"Yes husband?" I notice her standing behind him. He does not look at her as he talks.
"Leave us." A worried smile slides on her face.
"I think I should stay." Her words are soft, barely a whisper. It is not like her to be so reserved. Is he hurting her?
Brutus smiles and sighs.
"Why can't a woman just do as she's told?" I am furious at his disrespect toward my mother. She deserves so much more.
"You should not speak like that to a powerful woman."
He spits in my face. My comment clearly irritates him.
"Leave now." I watch as my mother reluctantly exits the room. He turns back to me calmly. He then proceeds to land a punch on my jaw. I keep eye contact with him.
"Look kid, I know who you are and I know what you can do."
"Only because you can do the same." He grins.
"I admit you're clever. How long have you been alive?"
"I'm twenty two. Why?" The question seemed unrelated to the conversation. He gives a long sigh.
"You are just a child. I am thousands of years old. The time vortex, if been in too many times, you just stop aging. At least, that is my understanding.