Chapter VIII

Allison-
"Miss Blake?" I don't respond at first, but by the second time the woman says my maiden name I understand.
"Y-yeah. I'm sorry." The nurse gives me a pitiful look.
"I have an update on his condition." My eyes snap to hers as I stand.
"Please, is he going to be okay?" My voice is desperate.
"Follow me." Connor and I both follow the nurse into a separate waiting room. It is empty aside from us. "First I will say that Magnus is alive." She pauses as Connor and I sigh in relief. "However, his condition is still critical."
My heart drops.
"What is wrong with him?" The nurse takes a long breath.
"Whatever went through him left him with a puncture wound to his liver causing it to shut down. The infection was caught early. We have a machine cleaning his blood for him."
"Will he be okay?" The woman has a look of pity in her eyes.
"It is unknown at this time." She glances around before speaking in a low voice. "I don't know what is wrong with him, but he is healing incredibly fast. Inhumanly fast." My curiosity rises. I shouldn't be surprised. After all, they call him a god.
"When can I see him?" The nurse nods her head, motioning to follow her.
We go up to the ICU in an older worn down elevator. The hallways leading from the elevator are a very sterile white. We reach room 307 quickly. I enter the room to find Magnus asleep with not one but four machines hooked up to him.
"He is in a medical induced coma. We will bring him out of it once everything has stabilized."
My pace is slow as I lean down and kiss his pale face. He doesn't even flinch. He doesn't react at all.
"Can he hear me?" The nurse gives me a soft smile.
"Yes he can hear you."

Magnus-
"Magnus." I turn quickly toward the sound. Standing down the ornate shining hallway is my father. Happiness and tranquility flows through me.
"Hey Dad." My father is wearing a proud grin. We walk toward each other until we meet in the middle. He takes me into his arms.
The tears start flowing. I do not know where they came from or why they're here, but I feel at peace. My father pulls away.
"I had a sense that you'd be coming soon." My father gives me a side glance. "What did you do?"
"I had to fix things."
"What kind of things?" A laugh escapes me.
"We're in Valhalla." I am incredulous. "There was a man. Lived for centuries. He could travel through time like we could. It sounds stupid, but he messed up time. He changed the past so he could be with Estrid. Kind of romantic I guess. Anyway, because of that one change, it spiraled and it ended with her being queen of Ireland married to the bitch. So I fixed it, killed him, and settled my affairs." My father let's out a low whistle.
"How was Estrid doing when you left?" My father starts walking, so I follow him.
"She was calm. Like she knew something major happened. Fuck... I left her alone!"
"Magnus, calm down. She will be okay. How is your girl? Alison was her name!" I smile.
"Yeah, she's doing okay. Oh, you're a grandfather by the way." His eyes light up.
"I know. It hasn't been born yet, has it?" I shake my head.
"No."
We come across a very large gate. I look to my father for guidance.
"You are still alive. You must make the choice yourself."
Magnus? Magnus, can you hear me?
I look around in search of the disembodied voice.
"Hey, Dad did you hear that?" He has a knowing smile on his face.
"No, I don't hear it. Only you can."
Please... come back to me.
"Hold on, that's Ali's voice." He nods.
"You could go back to her or you could stay with me."
I sit against the gate with a thump.
"How am I supposed to choose?" My father stands next to me.
"So your mother was destined to be with me. Was I fated to die?" I sigh. I've been denying the truth for so long.
"It wouldn't have mattered. Your death did not effect the course of history." He chuckles heartily.
"Sounds about right."
Magnus I need you.
My father and I sit silently for a long moment.
"You gotta choose son. You can't wait forever." He slaps me on the back.
I sigh as I look around at the outer garden. The flowers are so colorful, their sweet scent wafting in the air. Beckoning me.
I have a choice. I'm not sure it is one I wish to make.

Allison-
"Allison. Come on sweetheart. You need to sleep in a bed. Come to think about it, you need to eat too."
I raise my head to find Connor next to me. I look back to Magnus. He looks so peaceful even though he is so injured. I slide some hair of his that was loose back behind his ear.
"We both will wait as long as you need. I am not giving up on you."