Chapter Thirteen - A

For the first time in over a month, I woke up in a place other than my prison bed. The smell of antiseptic made my nose burn and my eyes water, it was overpowering. My eyes twitched with the strain of trying to open them but refused to do so.

Where the hell was I?

"She is waking up!" I heard someone shout from beside me.

My brain was too befuddled to figure out whether it was a male or female. All of my concentration was focused on getting my stupid eyes to open. It felt like someone had sewn them shut. Or, maybe I was blind. Oh God, was I blind? I tried to speak, but it came out as a whimper.

"Sh, sh, it's okay Rosemarie. You are safe, I promise." The voice beside my bed tried to soothe me, but I couldn't see!

Then, after what seemed like hours, I managed to pry my dry right eye open all the way. The left opened slowly after that and stopped at halfway. It felt like someone had rubbed sand in them. I opened my mouth to try to ask what had happened, but my voice caught in my throat. It felt like a million bee stings trying to force it up.

"Don't try to speak yet," my mother, who had been the owner of the voice, said.

She leaned over and took a glass from the table beside the bed and gently lifted it to my lips. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was until the first drop landed on my tongue. It was all I could do not to choke on the water, how fast I drank it. When the glass was empty, my mother returned it to the stand.

"The doctor will come in and look at you soon, so just try to relax right now," she urged.

I gave her a questioning look. Why was a doctor coming to check on me? Where exactly was I? What had happened? I tried to remember, but all it did was cause me a searing headache.

"You're in the small hospital run by the neutral pack doctor in the city," my mother said, explaining where I was but not why I was here.

My brows furrowed and I blinked my dry eyes over and over.

The werewolf hospital stayed off of the human radar. It was a two-story building that, on the outside, just looked like a standard office building. It was important that we have a hospital, we healed fast but not instantly and it was usually used for more serious injuries. Sometimes bones had to be set faced to heal properly. We needed operations and surgeries sometimes, but we healed so fast we required special medical attention.

The doctor walked in a few moments later, white lab coat swaying hypnotically behind him as he walked. He smelled like the rest of the tiny, two-floored hospital - like antiseptic. He picked up the chart on the bottom of the bed and glanced it over - pointless, I thought. Other than me, there were probably very few other patients here.

"It is good to finally see you awake," he said to me when he put the chart back down and came to sit on the bed beside me. "Do you know where you are?"

I nodded my head, not trusting my vocal cords yet. The doctor smiled and pulled out some sort of pen light and shined it into both of me eyes. I tried not to shut them out of reflex - not after it had taken so much energy to pry them open in the first place. He turned the light off, pocketed it and wrote something on the chart.

"Alright, I am going to ask you a few questions now and I need you to try and answer them for me," he said to me in that soothing, doctor voice all doctors seemed to have.

I wonder if they took a class on how to speak like a doctor.

"What is your name?" He asked.