Epilogue

Chapter 20 - Epilogue

Things didn't fully settle down into a sort of rhythm until the end of August.

Will had easily (and happily) fell back into his Beta role. I had (not so easily) stepped up into my role as Luna of the pack. But things were going smoothly.

Brendan's transition into Alpha of the Merphate pack (since their Gamma had switched packs and both their Alpha and Beta had been killed) had been relatively easy. He had my mother, the former Luna, guiding him. He was also good and had a keen sense of right and wrong.

It probably didn't hurt that Brendan had met his mate during the summer, stealing Allison from us, our Gamma. Phil was happy to step in and fill her place in our pack.

Bradley had been exiled from our pack and was now a rogue. I wasn't sure what happened to him once he left our pack lands for good. He had just been a power hungry asshat that thought he had a better chance of climbing the pack ranks if he played for both teams. That worked out well for him.

The first week in September, Jackson announced that he and I were going on an extended, belated honeymoon and we would be back the first week of November. Will would look after the pack and had the information to reach us if he needed us.

Jackson wouldn't tell me where we were going. He packed up our clothes, drove us straight to the airport and we boarded a private jet.

"You honestly aren't even going to give me a hint?" I asked as we buckled up for takeoff.

"You'll see soon enough," he grunted.

The jets fired up, the pilot made his announcement and soon enough we were up in the sky. I unbuckled myself when the all clear was given and moved closer to the window, looking down at the clouds we soared above.

"How long is the flight?" I asked, trying to get my bearings.

"Not too long."

I scowled at him and he smirked.

An hour later the pilot was announcing that we would be landing and to buckle up. He didn't announce which city or even which state he were in. I harrumphed after I buckled up and crossed my arms. Jackson chuckled knowing he was riling me up.

Once we landed on the tarmac, Jackson helped me out of the plane... and straight onto a helicopter.

"You're kidding me," I said deadpanned as I watched the blades on the helicopter start up.

"Nope," Jackson yelled over the noise and led me to the chopper.

We climbed in, the pilot stowed our luggage. Jackson put on a headset and then motioned for me to do the same. I grabbed the set hanging in front of me and slid them on.

"This is the last bit of travel, I promise," his voice said through the headset.

The pilot ran his final checks, radioed the tower and then we were in the sky once more. I was a wolf for Goddess sake, not a bird.

We climbed into the sky and out towards the ocean. I watched out the window as trees, water and civilisation passed us by.

"It's coming up here in about ten minutes," the pilot said, turning the helicopter slightly to adjust the coordinates.

Jackson leaned out and grabbed my hand gently. I looked over and he shot me a genuine smile. I was frustrated at not knowing our destination, but I couldn't help but reciprocate. I loved him more than words.

"Look," he said after a while and pointed out the window on my side.

An island was coming into view. A private island in the middle of the water with a decent sized house built on the shore. It was full of trees and surrounded by white-sand beach.

"Is that what I think it is?" I whispered, not sure if he could even hear me through the headsets.

"It's all ours for the next two months," he replied and squeezed my hand tight.

----------------------

The last two months had been a dream. Jackson and I had used them to get to know each other, to explore each other and just be together without the outside world interfering.

The house was gorgeous and more than big enough for the two of us. It was equipped with a phone and satellite. I could even hop on the internet from time to time if I felt the need (which I almost never did).

It was the morning of my twenty-second birthday and the island was definitely cooling off. October thirty-first would do that. Jackson was planning an intimate, surprise dinner for us to celebrate.

I was nervous.

I dressed in a nice, summery cocktail dress that I had found in my suitcase last month. I carefully did my hair and makeup as the aromas from the kitchen wafted through the house as Jackson cooked our dinner.

We would be leaving in a few days. We would be going back to the pack house, back to real life. But it was our real life. I played with rings on my finger that I would never again have to hide from anyone.

"Are you ready, Romy?" Jackson called up to me.

No, I wasn't.

I stood up and adjusted my dress before slipping on a pair of shiny flats and making my way downstairs. Dinner smelled amazing.

"You're so beautiful," Jackson said when he saw me and drew me into his arms.

I giggled and swatted his arm. He led me over to the table and drew the chair out for me to sit.

"What a gentleman," I joked.

"I aim to please," he countered and sat the plates down in front of us and poured some wine before sitting himself.

I was blown away by his thoughtfulness. He had really outdone himself.

"Happy Birthday, Romy," he said to me and raised his wine glass in toast.

I picked up my own glass and tapped it gently on his. He brought his own to his lips and took a long drink. I smiled and placed my glass back down on the table.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked, setting his own down.

"We met a year ago today," I smiled at him, remembering the masquerade ball that had started this whole thing.

He didn't say anything, waiting for the other foot to drop.

"It's been a crazy year," I offer.

"It's definitely been a year for the records," Jackson gave. "Full of lots of ups and downs."

"More downs than ups it seems sometimes," I said lowly, looking down and playing with the napkin in my lap.

"Romy, you are killing me. What is it?" Jackson begged.

I looked up at him with tears in my eyes and he stood instantly, his chair scraping backwards before knocking over. He walked over to me and knelt beside me.

"Romy-"

"I'm pregnant, Jackson," I said and smile through my happy tears.

He looked at me in shock for a moment before his face broke out into a jubilant smile. He stood and pulled me into his arms, swinging me around.

"Really?" He asked as he set my feet back on the ground.

I nodded and he pulled my face to his and kissed me passionately.

"I love you so much, Romy," he whispered as we pulled away.

"Forever."

"Always."

Fin.