Chapter Eighteen

Will had listened to what happened to me with surprising patience before telling me he would see what he could do and hurrying to his office.

If Jackson wasn't such a great Alpha, I would definitely vote for Will to be the next one. He had a calm, cool and commanding demeanour. Although, from the what I could tell he didn't handle the stress too well. He was an amazing man and an outstanding Beta. I couldn't be happier to be a member of the Merphate Pack. I couldn't be happier to be their Luna.

Will got back to me almost three hours later with both good news and bad news.

He couldn't get Jackson away from the Cardaver confinement as they were the ones to capture him for disobeying his banishment. We couldn't possibly have him released to us because they knew that we couldn't and wouldn't be unbiased to him.

Yeah, I snorted, Like the Cardavers are going to be fair as well.

What Will did manage to do was have the Tribunal moved up. It was supposed to take place three days from now. He managed to convince the majority of Alphas to have it moved up to tomorrow afternoon.

It may have been Jackson's saving grace, I thought. The less time my father has with Jackson a prisoner under his guard the higher the chance of Jackson's survival.

---------------------------

The day of the Tribunal was probably one of the most nerve-wracking days of my life. I went between being so scared that I was visibly shaking to being so mad my body was a body of energy just waiting to be released.

There were only a select few wolves that were permitted within the Tribunal. There would be an Alpha from each of the packs in the nearest two states. There would be about fifteen in total, discluding Jackson who had no voting rights. Will would be there for the Merphates.

I was also permitted at the Tribunal as the defendant's (Jackson's) mate.

As Will and I got into one of the pack cars, I was wringing my hands in my lap. We were silent throughout the whole car ride, both going over all the possible outcome. We were both preparing for the worst.

Because we both knew that the normal consensus was when someone broke a binding banishment order before a Tribunal.

Death.

Werewolves on a whole were an unforgiving species. That was probably why we were constantly in wars and fights over pack turfs. We didn't easily forgive and we never forgot.

We were also merciless when dealing out punishments to our neighbouring packs. Especially if we had crossed paths before.

Still, I knew that Jackson had friends among the other Alphas. I knew that he was recognized as being a just, kind ruler by most of his peers. I just hoped that was enough to save him from the threat of a Cardaver pack attack.

We pulled up to the spot that had been designated as the Tribunal meeting place.

The Tribunal Area sat in the forest in the small neutral zone in this state. It was a lot like a small, outside Greek-inspired amphitheater. It wasn't always used just for Tribunals. Sometimes it was used for spectacle fights between wolves where a bunch of packs could come and sit to watch. Kind of like pro-wrestling, werewolf style. Sometimes, they showed outdoor movies there, which I found super strange.

Regardless, it was protected from humans finding it by a large stone wall the circled the perimeter with a locked gate. There were large "No Trespassing, Private Property" signs posted what seemed like every foot.