Half Part 3

There was normally a thick user manual with elaborated guidelines when an android, or a technological product of a similar kind, was sold. Yet with Shane 2.0, everything was obscure to a point that it was daunting. Emir was stuck with an unspecified product meticulously manufactured using some of the most advanced and futuristic technologies but he was granted no access to his origin, intention and even functions.

Emir grabbed his broken phone from the ground and swiped the cracked screen, trying to unlock it to read the messages from his brother but the gadget could no longer detect his thumb. He sighed and tramped back to the study room to get his laptop. He was sitting at his study table browsing sites after sites of android-related information when Shane 2.0 stood behind him and picked up his phone soundlessly.

'Sir, would you like me to fix this for you?' offered the android with an endearing smile. Emir, preoccupied by the content he was reading from his laptop, only shifted his gaze to Shane 2.0 after a minute and immediately, snatched his phone back.

'Don't touch my stuff,' accused Emir, shooting the android a glare before slipping his phone into his pocket and refixating his eyes on the laptop screen. The smile on the android's face faded as he gave a slight nod indicating his comprehension of his master's order.

'You did claim that you'd listen to all my commands,' Emir piped up, his eyes never meeting the android's.

'That's right,' reiterated the android. 'I'll do anything you say.'

'Why didn't you obey me when I asked you to leave the house,' said Emir, 'or simply vanish from my sight?'

'I'm sorry,' apologised the android. 'Apart from causing physical harm to any living creatures, and damaging my own body, leaving you is the only other thing I cannot achieve.'

'Right,' muttered Emir. He had browsed through an assortment of android models and found nothing that matched Shane 2.0. The intellectual type is inaccessible to normal citizens, as these androids are specifically created by governments and laboratories to engage in political affairs, research and experiments. To humans, androids are reliable when it comes to offering objective opinions and deducing the best option among multiple choices within the shortest period of time. Their brains are capable of storing an extensive range of knowledge, from past and present, and establishing overwhelming amounts of sophisticated corpus. The functional type is prevalent in almost every industry. There are androids employed by institutions as tutors; by corporations as analysts; by cleaning companies as street cleaners and more. Shane 2.0 didn't seem to fall into this category. The closest one Emir could relate his android to is probably the domestic type which is skilled at accomplishing chores, listening to basic commands and keeping the owners protected within the household. There is, however, nothing about them being able to express emotions, subjective comments or personal preference. All androids have been made to comply with orders, even if they are commanded to destroy themselves. The only order they are not allowed to follow is to harm another human being. And if the owners dismiss them, they are done; switched off for good and shall disappear from this world.

'You won't be able to find anything relevant,' said Shane 2.0. 'I'm not programmed like all of them. I'm not like them.'

'I can see that,' said Emir, finally turning his swivel chair to face the android. There didn't seem to be a way to get rid of Shane 2.0. He didn't have a switch or a remote control or anything of that sort that could simply shut him down. And if Emir took a knife and pierced through him, what would happen? Would his body regenerate itself instantly?

It was such a malicious thought. Emir could never stab someone who looked almost identical to Shane. However revolting and provoking this lifeless being was, he couldn't bear the sight of seeing him dead.