Life Part 5

'S-S-h-ann?'

Shann is lying on the floor, a blank draped over him. When he opens his eyes, Elis is hovering over him, blinking more frequently than usual. His eyes are no longer bloodshot and his complexion has darkened. He doesn't look as haggard as before.

'Sh-ann?'

Shann gulps, fully awake now after Elis reads out his name with a tremulous voice.

'What did you just say?'

'Shann...' The articulation is even clearer this time.

'You...can speak now?'

Elis bites his bottom lip and furrows his brows.

'E-E-Elis.' He points to himself and repeats his name. 'E-Elis.'

'Yes, Elis,' says Shann with an elated smile.

'Me – Elis,' reiterates Elis, tapping his own chest. 'You – Sh-Shann.'

'That's right,' echoes Shann. 'You're Elis. I'm Shann. And you can speak!'

Elis shrugs. He struggles to utter other words but fails. Shann, though, can't stop grinning at his impressive progress. He quickly takes out his notebook and marks down Elis's changes.

'You're changing,' states Shann. 'And I think it's fabulous.'

For the first time, Elis tries stretching his lips and returns a smile to Shann.

After breakfast, Shann changes his bandages, grateful that his stitched wound shows no sign of infection. At his rate, he will recover in no time. When he leaves the en suite, Elis is standing motionless in front of a bookcase and there is a stack of textbooks on the work desk. Shann takes a curious glimpse of those books and recognises them immediately. They are the same ones he used to have for his Economics class. All the books on the bookcase are all coated with a layer of dust. Shann casually takes out one book and waves it at Elis.

'Hey, you want to read a book together?' asks Shann. 'Since there's nothing better to do anyway and maybe you can recognise some words.'

Elis actually nods at his offer. Shann leads him back to the bed on which they sit side by side leaning against a pile of pillows.

It's a children's book on folklore and fairytales. Shann flips open the book and reads each line slowly. Most words look unrecognisable to Elis but some do appear familiar. He is more drawn to the sketches of different mythical creatures on each page than how the words are spelled. Shann's voice is soft and tranquilising, as if he is reading him a bedtime story, lulling him to sleep. Another flashback crosses his mind. Johan used to read to him when he was small. Like Shann, their parents were seldom home, often leaving the two brothers to fend for themselves. They used to watch television, play video games and then read to pass time. He couldn't sleep without a bedtime story, especially on those stormy nights.

Shann flips a page and there is a sketch of a troll. Elis taps the sketch repeatedly. He has seen it before. Johan has read this story to him countless times. The book was a gift on his five-year-old birthday. He was so obsessed with folklore and mythical creatures he kept begging Johan to read him the book.

'T-T-r-o –'

'Troll,' says Shann. 'It's a troll.'

'Y-Y-ea.' Elis clenches his eyes and reopen him, forcing the word out of his lips. 'J-J...J...Jo.'

'J?'

'B-Bro –'

'Your brother?'

Elis nods. Shann supposes that either his brother likes trolls or he has read something similar to him. Shann goes through the whole book with Elis, guiding him to link the words to different pictures, teaching him to articulate and pronounce some basic vocabulary. By dusk, Elis is able to recite a few words, including 'trolls', 'dwarves', 'fairies' and 'elves'.

Shann tries to savour what he has, given the limited food supply. He has a few biscuits for lunch and then half can of sardines for dinner. He is constantly starving and he wonders if Elis feels the same. Elis, however, doesn't seem keen on eating him. Shann jots down in his notebook again that Elis might have incredible ability to tolerate hunger and pain.

Is that self-discipline?

If a monstrous creature is equipped with such a rational ability to control his own needs and refrain from being driven by instincts, doesn't that mean he's still partially human?

Shann bears that in mind and decides to read more books to Elis to see if he can become literate again.

The next day, Shann explores the bedroom more and finds an iPod along with a pair of headphones on one of the shelves. He tries switching it on and to his delight, it's still charged. He scrolls down the playlist that is occupied by teenage love songs. He scurries back to Elis, who remains sitting on the bed, and shares the headphones with him. He shows Elis the playlist and asks if there's something he'd like to listen to. Of course, Elis can't give a decent response. He can at most point at a random song. Shann respects his choice and starts playing Boston. The moment the familiar melody hits his ear, another wave of warmth bombards him. It feels as if a worm is wriggling inside his chest and tickling him. Their faces are inches apart and heat keeps emanating from Shann's cheek. Shann hums along with a genuine smile. Elis can't help staring at those exceptionally long eyelashes that keep fluttering, shielding the radiant chocolate brown orbs underneath. Shann's skin, unlike his, is healthy, smooth and warm all the time. He wants to reach out to those glossy dark locks that always seem to carry a fragrance.

When Canon in D comes on the list, Shann suddenly leads him out of bed and takes his hand. He drags Elis to the middle of the room.

'This is so nostalgic,' mutters Shann. 'I love this a lot. They played this old song during the graduation prom and I, like, had a dance with my ex.'

Elis looks baffled for a moment before Shann grabs his hands and winks at him.

'Relax,' encourages Shann. 'I'll lead you.'

Shann has taken both of his hands and step by step, they begin to sway. Elis stumbles and steps on Shan's shoe. Shann draws back a little and chuckles. Elis trips and staggers. Shann goes slower and they sweep across the floor, swirling slowly.

'It kind of reminds me of a film I watched years ago,' says Shann. 'About an android falling in love with a human. There is this scene where the boy tries to teach this android which is cloned after his dead lover to dance and the android stumbles awkwardly, never able to catch the beats of the melody, just like you.'

Shann giggles and the heat grows stronger. Elis stops suddenly and clutches his chest.

'Is...something wrong, Elis?'

Elis shakes his head. He recognises this feeling. It has struck him many times before – the warmth tingling in his chest whenever he stares into a particular pair of eyes, feels the touch of his skin and hears his innocent cackles. When Shann isn't afraid to touch his cold, grey skin, lean close to those unnerving bloodshot eyes and whisper his name repeatedly, it gets stronger. His cheeks begin to burn as temperature returns to his body.

'Elis?'

He nestles his head on Shann's shoulder. Shann doesn't move and they stay like that for a long time simply listening till the song finishes. It starts drizzling outside and the sky is fill with thick, grey clouds, but when Elis closes his eyes, all he sees is a spectrum of colours and he is able to name each of them. They listen to the songs until the battery dies out.

Elis has never felt more peaceful.