Unnamed thing (Part 4)

TW // blood

The day before, far away...

Techno came out of the lake dripping. And grumbling.

"Oh yeah, check if he's dead. 'I just want to be sure.' Well it's a pretty huge lake, Badboyhalo."
He grunted unhappily.
"Pretty huge and pretty empty."

He threw a round mask on the rocky beach and sat down next to the fire to get dry.

"Guess I should search the woods," he said to himself, warming his hands.
He groaned. "Ughhhhh the water's so cooooold. I'm shaking. This is the worst."

Suddenly his senses peaked and he felt someone watching him.
He looked up into the sky.

A figure was circling above him, descending.

Techno immediately removed the crossbow from his back and carefully loaded an explosive into it, without taking his eyes off the winged figure.

It finally got low enough to talk, shouting cheerily like they were buddies. "Well hello Technoblade!"

Techno gave a curt smile in reply. "Paying me a visit?!"

He pulled the trigger and shot.

The man stopped in midair and held a hand out: the bolt froze.
Techno smiled, his aim was good; it would've gone to his heart.
The man raised an eyebrow. "Did you really think tha-"
The projectile exploded in fire and smoke.

The man fell with limp wings and trailing smoke. He landed hard on the beach, making a small crater in the rocks.

"No-" Techno lowered the crossbow- "but you're getting cockier than your own good."

The man stood up. He picked up the green and white striped bucket hat and put it firmly back on his head.
He lifted his eyes to Techno silently.
Then he burst out laughing.

Techno narrowed his eyes.

"Cockier than my own good! Haha!" He sighed happily. "Maybe I am, Techno, but you're really one to talk. 'I'm immortal, look at meeee!' Ha." He dusted himself off.
"You always have a trick up your sleeve, I'll give you that. But we both know it's one less way to surprise me later."

"I only need to surprise you once," Techno replied. "One good time."

"Touché." He winked.

"Jeez even your talking is outdated, old man."

He sighed. "Well your insults are old."

"What do you want, Philza?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Philza shook out his wings, stirring up little clouds of dust.
"I came to gloat."

"Gloat over what?" Techno opened his arms out to the trees and the lake. "We have George."
He would've said his best spy was dead, but he wasn't quite sure yet.

"Sure sure-" Philza flopped his hand lazily- "I don't really care about George. I'll get him back before long. I know you, you're impatient."

"What then, gloat over my dead body? You're really drawing it out if that's the case." Techno never put down his crossbow.

"No, I won't kill you... yet." Phil smiled.
"Although I could beat you up a little while I'm here."
He lifted his fingers and several fist-sized rocks raised in front of him and hovered.

Techno's eyes widened as they came speeding for him. In a split-second he dropped his crossbow and drew his sword, but it was hardly better. He wished for his shield but he had dropped it elsewhere, given that it was cumbersome to swim with.
He deflected two rocks from his internal organs, probably denting his sword, but one nicked his calf and the other rammed his eye socket.