Chapter 1

When I was ten I did something stupid, I ran away to find my father. I grew up hearing the same words about him from my mom, she always told us, "He hunts down lost boys dear, and he must never know you exist." Of course then I thought she was joking, but I never would have guessed how serious she was. I grew impatient with life and every day dwelled more and more on finding him. One night I gathered a week's worth of food and a blanket and snuck out to the back alley of our house. I sat there for a while until I heard a voice ring loud and clear,"Tink, where are you?" I looked up and saw a young boy with a green, almost brown outfit decked with a matching cap. Stuck to the top was a red feather that stood out like a beacon, he was scolding a small flashlight. I began to move forward, but he saw me. Taking off his cap he gave a low bow and a quick wink before shooting off into the sky above. I tried chasing him, only to realize that as he took off his clothing left this almost glitter paste behind. I picked up a small handful and began to throw it into the air before watching it fall back to my head. I instantly wished I could follow him and began to run frantically into the street, trying to catch up. At first I thought I had begun to run uphill, but as I looked down at my dangling feet, I found out I was flying. I focused on going up, and up I went, I focused on going down, and down I went, and soon the bristling lights from the town below were as small dots. I thought about going down, but I did not know if I would be able to fly up again, so there in the sky I stayed, feeling like the clouds themselves. I soon began to feel very lost as I looked to see the ground, but found it gone, I looked around and saw a very bright star in front of me. Something about it held a certain appeal and the more I stared at it, the more enticing it appeared. Before I knew what I was doing, I was shooting across the sky in its direction, my mind lost in how wonderful it was to move so easily. When I realized I had been flying for hours, I stopped. I didn't even know that I was flying, something pulled me forward again until I saw a bright blue ocean with a paradise island planted smack in the middle. It looked marvelous and inviting and........ I closed the diary, reminding myself it was all in the past and I had no part of it now. I closed the lock, sliding the key back into place around my neck, its small weight a daily reminder of the pain I must now bear. I placed the small leather book back into its place in the farthest reaches of my closet. I went to my bedside table and pulled a small brush through my hair before putting it in a tight ponytail at the back of my head. My dark raven hair contrasted heavily against the bright yellow shirt I was wearing, but I felt the black color of my pants made up for it somehow. Finally I pulled on my black Converse and after checking my appearance in the mirror, made my way downstairs. My mother was in the kitchen, her small form hunched over a small bowl of yogurt.

"I will be ready in a minute," she cried out after seeing me, her mouth still full with food. She leapt up and put her dish away before moving to my side. "Where has the day gone, it seems like I woke up an hour ago." I just nodded, hoping we could get going so I could have something to take my mind off of today. She pulled her keys off of the hook on the wall and pulled the door open to let me pass.

"Thanks," I mumbled, just loud enough for her to hear me. I could tell she was debating whether or not to give me a hug, or yell at me for being a grump. I just made my way to the car and sat down in the passenger seat. A few seconds later she sat down beside me and started the engine.

"Look sweety, I know it's your father's birthday but Amanda invited you to the fair to hang out, not be a grump the whole time, try to enjoy yourself, okay?" She smiled at me sadly, the only person in the world who even remotely understood what I was going through.

"I know mom. I am sorry." I said in a quick breath, the tip of the Ferris wheel alreading showing through the buildings.

The closer we got, the heavier the traffic began, so the normal Five minute drive took ten times as long, but finally we were directed into a spot in the grass, indicated by a long spray of white paint.