Chapter Three

"Shut up loser," I shrieked, covering Adrien's mouth with my palm, making his words muffled. "You can't tell Peter!"

"Can't tell Peter what?" The distinct voice of the leader of the Lost Boys spoke from behind me. I slowly turned to stare into his green eyes.

"Can't tell Peter about a surprise party I have been planning for his 85th birthday!" I lied to him with ease.

He smiled at me and Adrien, and I could have sworn his smile was bigger than it was a few seconds ago.

"Thank you, no one has celebrated my birthday for twenty years!" He gave us a last look before sauntering off to who knows where.

I suddenly realized it was probably true. The only reason I knew about his birthday was because he told me, and since their population was growing rapidly every year, I'm sure his birthday was shoved under the rug. Great, I thought, now I feel guilty!

"Why didn't you tell Peter you have feelings for him? I'm almost positive he likes you back." Adrien shook his head and leaned his back against the log behind us.

I shrugged. "I don't think I could handle rejection right now, besides," I pulled him closer and whispered into his ear, "We have a surprise birthday party to plan."

He threw his head back and let out a laugh.

I gave the door another shove, knowing it would not budge, but I had already searched every inch of the room and there were no weaknesses I could find.

"I don't think that's going to do anything," Amanda whispered from the other side of the room.

I saw her form huddled on her bed, and knew she was right. "I know, I know, but I feel helpless, I need to do something." I went and sat next to her, wrapping my arm around her shoulder.

"Can you explain why your dad is so keen on keeping you here?"

I let out a small laugh. "Probably because I have escaped before, and he knows I won't stay if I was given a choice."

She let out an annoyed huff. "You're talking in riddles Gwen, I don't know what that means."

Once again my best friend was right, I thought about where to start or how much information I should tell her. Perhaps at the beginning, a very agitating voice in my head said.

"I never knew my dad when he was little, and my mom told me I never would. She called him a dangerous man and said I was the only good thing that came out of their relationship. Still every essence of my being felt like I was missing something, an important part of who I was, so I ran away to find him."

I looked at her to find her eyes snapped to attention on mine, so I continued.

"I was in the streets of London for days, a twelve year old kid with no idea what I was doing, and that's how Peter Pan found me. I still don't know if he thought I was a suitable Lost Boy, or if he was just showing off, but he gave me a bow and flew off when he got a better look, leaving behind a handful of pixie dust which I then used to follow him to Neverland. I was decent at flying, but no one ever told me how to land, so I crashed into the depths of the sea, just off of the shore. Surprisingly the mermaids saved me, not a normal thing in case you didn't know, and dragged my body to the beach. They threw me fish everyday, until I was sick of seafood."

"That explains why you would never go out with me and eat sushi," Amanda giggled.

"Yes," I was tempted to chide her for interrupting, but I knew she would not listen unless she could add her own thoughts, so I didn't mind. "One day, a bright set of white sails made their way closer to me, naturally I grew curious and swam to the side of the boat, trying to see over the edge. Someone found me, a giant pirate nicknamed Grunt, who dragged me before a murderer, a thief, and worst of all a liar. My father. Of course then I didn't know he was any of that. I knew instantly he was my dad, I don't know how but I felt connected to him, like a string tied our hearts together."