42

══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════

Jason made a heroic little whimpering sound but Alex couldn't blame him. She was very sure no demigod could solo this guy. Porphyrion could lift mountains. He could crush Jason and Alex with one finger.

"Leo," Jason said.

"Huh?" Leo's mouth was wide open. Even Piper seemed dazed.

"You guys keep working," Jason said. "Get Hera free!"

"What are you going to do?" Piper asked. "You can't seriously-"

"Entertain a giant? We've got no choice" Jason said and then turned to Alex. "You in, Jackson?"

"You know I am, Grace" Alex tried for an arrogant smile.

"Excellent!" the giant roared as Jason approached. "An appetiser! Who are you two- Ares? Athena? Artemis and Apollo?"

Alex thought about going with that idea, but something told her not to.

"I'm Jason Grace," Jason said. "Son of Jupiter."

"And I am Alex Jackson, Daughter of Poseidon" Alex stood straighter.

Those white eyes bored into them. Behind them, Leo's circular saw whirred, and Piper talked to the cage in soothing tones, trying to keep the fear out of her voice.

Porphyrion threw back his head and laughed. "Outstanding!" He looked up at the cloudy night sky. "So, Zeus and Poseidon, you sacrifice two children to me? The gesture is appreciated, but it will not save you."

The sky didn't even rumble. No help from above. Jason and Alex were on their own.

Jason dropped his makeshift club. Alex did the same, her hands were covered in splinters, but that didn't matter now. They had to buy Leo and Piper some time, and they couldn't do that without a proper weapon.

"If you knew who I was," Jason yelled up at the giant, "you'd be worried about me, not my father. I hope you enjoyed your two and a half minutes of rebirth, giant, because I'm going to send you right back to Tartarus."

Alex was unsure ow boasting was going to help but she shrugged.

The giant's eyes narrowed. He planted one foot outside the pool and crouched to get a better look at his opponent. "So.. we'll start by boasting, will we? Just like old times! Very well, demigods. I am Porphryion, king of the giants, son of Gaea. In olden times, I rose from Tatarus, the abyss of my father, to challenge the gods. To start the war, I stole Zeus's queen." He grinned at the goddess's cage. "Hello, Hera."

"My husband destroyed you once, monster!" Hera said. "He'll do it again!"

"But he didn't, my dear! Zeus wasn't powerful enough to kill me. He had to rely on a puny demigod to help, and even then, we almost won. This time, we will complete what we started. Gaea is waking. She has provisioned us with many fine servants. Our armies will shake the earth-and we will destroy you at the roots."