six

Six

Sierra had woken up instantly when she heard vomiting, and looked to see Kemper throwing up into the trash can to the side of her bed, "It's alright Kemper," Sierra reassured her as she clicked the nurse button for Kemper while she continued to throw up. A nurse entered to realize what was happening, then turned on the light. Kemper had finished throwing up, then started crying again.

"My lower tummy hurts," Kemper cried.

"It's because you were leaning on it, it's ok," Sierra hushed her as she stroked her hair.

"I can give her more painkillers," the nurse said. "And a pill to stop the nausea," Sierra nodded as the nurse put more painkiller fluid into the IV and then allowed her to take the other pill by mouth, which Kemper did.

"I want you to lay with me," Kemper cried to Sierra. Sierra was about to tell her she can't, but the nurse interrupted.

"I can tell the other nurses to let it slide," she offered to Sierra. "She needs someone right now,"

"Are you sure?" Sierra questioned and she nodded.

"Just lay on the side without the IV and you'll be fine, we do it all the time,"

"Thank you," Sierra smiled gratefully at the nurse. She laid down next to Kemper, stroking her hair as Kemper leaned against her. The nurse left after the two were situated, and Sierra restarted beauty and the beast for her. Luckily, Kemper fell back asleep quickly and Sierra did as well.

The next morning, Luke and Ashton had entered to see the two fast asleep though it was eight. Luke chuckled, and went over to Sierra, kissing her gently which woke her up. "Morning," he whispered.

'What time is it?" Sierra groggily asked.

"Eight, you have to clock in soon," Luke said, "I brought you some clothes to change into,"

"Thank you," Sierra thanked him as Luke put the bag down at her feet. "She threw up last night,"

"Poor kid," Ashton frowned.

"Did you find out what's wrong?" Luke asked and she nodded.

"I'll clock in and tell you," Sierra said, not wanting to break the rules. She slowly got up, resting Kemper's head on the pillow, then leaving to get changed and clock in. Luke and Ashton did their rounds in the morning, checking on patients and their charts and having conversations with some. Around nine Luke went back to Kemper's room with Michael and saw the seven year old awake and coloring with Calum.

"About time you came," Calum told them.

"We colored," Kemper smiled, holding up the page.

"That looks beautiful," Michael complimented.

"Sierra is going to come in soon," Luke said, "and then we can find out what's wrong," Kemper nodded.

"Alright little one," Calum stood up and ruffled her hair, "that's my cue to leave, I'll come back later,"

"Bye Calum," Kemper grinned and waved. As he left, Luke followed him out quickly and stopped him before he could get back to work.

"I was checking Kemper's files and she hasn't had a check up or any vaccine shots since she was two. Do you think you could do that?"

"I can when you and Sierra become foster parents," Calum said, which caught Luke off guard, making him chuckle. "Sierra was talking about it to me yesterday, and I think you should go through with it,"

"We're going to go through with it, I've started the paperwork to get a background check," Luke explained.

"Well once that goes through let me know, and I'll definitely squeeze her in for a check up," Calum smiled. Luke nodded and the two went their separate ways, but soon Sierra came in.

"So I went through the pictures from the ultrasound," Sierra started, but Kemper cut her off.

"No baby?" she asked, making everyone laugh.

"No baby," Sierra confirmed. "It's not torn, but it was very close and it's infected. I'm going to prescribe you some antibiotics to help it get better,"

"That's good news that it's not torn," Michael smiled at Kemper.

"And I think tomorrow we should try to walk around a little," Sierra added.

"Where will we go?" Kemper asked.

"We could go down to dentistry and see Kaykay and Crystal," Sierra suggested, which Kemper nodded excitedly to. "Alright, it's a plan,"