fourteen

Fourteen

"Hi Kemper, how are you?" Travis came in with a fake smile planted on his face.

"Good," Kemper muttered. Normally Luke and Sierra would correct her on mumbling, but both knew she was very uncomfortable around him, and he wasn't the kindest person to her. Honestly, her even speaking was a miracle.

"Why don't we go up to your room and talk privately?" he suggested. Kemper shook her head and went over to Luke, hugging his leg tightly. "Kemper, you know I have to talk to you privately,"

"I don't wanna," Kemper said and Luke picked her up.

"Darling, I know you don't want to but it has to be done," Luke told her softly.

"We'll be right down here when you're done," Sierra promised. Kemper finally agreed and went up with Travis. To Kemper's luck, Petunia had followed up. So while Travis sat at her desk chair Kemper sat on her bed with Petunia, petting her to help her through this.

"Do you like living with Luke and Sierra?" Travis asked and Kemper nodded. "Kemper, you have to reply verbally,"

"They're my mommy and daddy," Kemper replied, "I love them,"

"Do you feel safe?"

"Yes,"

"How often do you think about past events?"

"Every night," Kemper quietly said as she leaned over and hugged Petunia tightly.

"Alright," Travis nodded. "Do you want to keep living here? Or would you rather go to a different home,"

"Here," Kemper quickly said.

"They can adopt you next week, would you like that?"

"Yes,"

"Alright, I'm going to go talk to Luke and Sierra, I'll see you next week Kemper," Travis said. Kemper nodded and Travis went back downstairs. "She said she would like to be adopted, if that's what you two want,"

"Yes, of course," Sierra quickly said.

"How are her bruises healing?"

"A lot better, she doesn't complain about them that much. We're taking her tomorrow to get her stitches out and she's going to talk with a psychiatrist," Sierra explained.

"Well then I will see you three next week in court," Travis said.

"See you then," Luke replied as he walked Travis out. The couple went upstairs and saw Kemper laying with Petunia in her bed, hugging the dog who didn't mind it all, just wanted attention from whoever. "You two look cuddly," Luke smiled at the two.

"I don't like him," Kemper said as the couple came in and sat on her bed with her and Petunia.

"I know baby, but he is obligated to check in,"

"Obligated?" Kemper questioned.

"That means he has too," Sierra clarified.

"I wish he wasn't,"

"After next week you won't see him," SIerra reassured her.

"Are you going to adopt me next week?"

"Do you want us to?"

"Do you want to?" Kemper questioned, wanting them to answer first.

"We do," Luke said, "all we ever wanted was a kid, and you are the perfect one," he tapped her nose, making her giggle.

"I want you to adopt me, but you're already my mommy and daddy," Kemper told them.

"And you're already our daughter," Sierra added. "Kemper, how would you feel about going to school?"

"My old school?"

"No baby, a new one," Luke moved her hair out of her face. "You can make new friends, go to the after school program until Sierra and I are done with work, and you can show all the kids long division," he explained with excitement.

"But I wanna stay with you all day," Kemper frowned.

"We want to stay with you all day too, but we have to work and you have to go to school," Sierra told her. "But on weekends we will all be together, and you don't have to go to school until you feel better and are adopted,"

"Everyone will make fun of my bruises and cuts,"

"If someone does, you just tell your teacher," Luke said, "no one should ever say anything bad about them," he explained. "But they are healing a lot, you have a lot less bruises," he cheered and Kemper nodded, still not fully happy about the school situation.

"Kemper, do you want to see Ashton and Calum tomorrow?" Sierra asked. That cheered Kemper up immediately, though she didn't know it was for appointments.

"Yeah," she nodded happily, making the two laugh.

"Calum is going to give you a check up and you and Ashton are going to talk for a while," Sierra explained.

"I'm excited to see them," Kemper said.

"They're excited to see you too," Luke told her.

"But today can we just stay together, please?" Kemper asked, which made the couple smile.

"We'll always be together," Luke said. "What do you want to do today?"

"Lay with Petunia and play barbies," Kemper answered.

"What do you want to do for lunch, sweet girl?" Sierra questioned.

"Grilled cheese please," Kemper said and the two agreed. But for now, they just laid with Kemper and Petunia in Kemper's room, allowing Kemper to take a nap since she was upset about Travis coming over.