nineteen

Nineteen

Kemper hadn't moved from her desk since she arrived at school. Her cheeks were stained with tears as she sniffled, keeping her crayon on the coloring page she was given. The kids in her class were all doing their own thing. They all mostly minded their own business and sat alone, except one kid. Kemper repeatedly heard Mrs. Robinson asking him to sit down and work, which he did with a grumble.

"Let's put our free work away and sit around the carpet for a story," Mrs. Robinson told the group of five. The four kids got up, but Kemper stayed seated at her desk, not moving. "Kemper, would you like to come join us, or stay at your desk?" Mrs. Robinson questioned. Kemper didn't respond verbally, just pointed at her desk. Mrs. Robinson respected that and pulled out a storybook for the kids. For twenty minutes she read the story and dealt with kids interrupting with their own observation. There were no complaints from her, she enjoyed hearing the kids' input.

Once the story was over it was recess. Some kids went outside with the larger group of kids, except the one loud boy in the class and Kemper. THey stayed in Mrs. Robinson's room. "Hi, I'm Gavin," the boy walked straight up to Kemper. "What's your name?"

"Kemper," Kemper whispered.

"I've never heard that name," Gavin sat down across from her. "I like it. Have you ever played connect four?" he asked, but Kemper shook her head. "I'll teach you," Gavin jumped up and grabbed the game.

"Gavin, remember to ask her if she wants to play," Mrs. Robinson reminded him.

"Do you want to play?" he asked, and Kemper nodded. Gavin set up the game and poorly taught Kemper the rules. They played some rounds with Gavin chatting away and Kemper not saying anything. "You don't really talk, do you?" he tilted his head and Kemper shook her head. "Do you want me to talk?" Gavin questioned and Kemper nodded. "Ok, I'll talk then and you can listen. And if you want to talk you can interrupt me," So that's what they did. Gavin talked and talked and talked, and Kemper just listened. He was full of energy, and Kemper was not.

When recess ended the class resumed. There was some math, there was some reading, then there was lunch and recess. And again, Gavin stayed inside with Kemper. He didn't join his friends, he stayed with the little girl and played connect four. Kemper got better at the game, which made Gavin upset but also proud of her. He did want to win. After recess there was more reading and then art. And that was the day. While Gavin and Kemper waited for their parents to pick them up, they sat in the classroom playing connect four.

"Maybe one day you can come to class with me," Gavin smiled. "It's a bigger class, but I have three friends that you could meet. Or if you want we can see them and lunch and recess, right now I can't go to the class,"

"Why not?" Kemper finally spoke up.

"I'm not good at school, my moms said I'm behind, so they are keeping me here until I get better,"

"When will you get better?"

"When I'm smart,"

"I think you're smart," Kemper looked up at him.

"I think you're smarter, you already know how to play connect four and win,"

"You're still smart,"

"One day we'll both get super duper smart and go to class together and be really good at it," Gavin said excitedly, making Kemper giggle.

"Kemper, look who's here," Mrs. Robinson said, making Kemper turn and look to see Luke coming in.

"Hey princess," Luke smiled as Kemper excitedly ran over to him, tackling him in a hug. "Good day?" he asked and Kemper nodded, confirming the question to be yes. "Make sure you pick up before you leave," he put Kemper down. She went back over and helped Gavin clean up.

"Can I sit next to you tomorrow?" Gavin asked and Kemper nodded. "Mrs. Robinson said we can work on schoolwork together,"

"Can we work on math together?" Kemper asked and he nodded.

"I'm bad at math, so we can work together. Maybe I'll get better,"

"I'm not very good either,"

"That's ok, we'll get better together," Gavin smiled and Kemper nodded. "Bye Kemper, see you tomorrow,"

"Bye Gavin, bye Mrs. Robinson," Kemper waved.

"Bye Kemper, have a good evening,"

"You too," Kemper said. Luke picked her back up and the two left. "Where's mama?"

"She had a patient she had to stay with," Luke explained. "She wanted to come though,"

"WIll I get to see her?"

"You will, and she will love to hear all about your day, I want to hear about it too,"

"I cried when you left," Kemper admitted.

"I cried too," Luke said.

"You cried?" Kemper questioned and Luke nodded.

"I was sad to see you sad," he explained.

"I'm happier now," Kemper said and Luke smiled.

"Good, I'm happier too,"