Chapter 8

Tears escape the confines of YiHuang's dark orbs for the first time in forever. It might even be his first, for he doesn't remember ever having done so.

"Zhang." The second prince calls. The name is a whisper, a hopeless whisper. "What should I do?" The question is directed at himself, but the answer comes from elsewhere.

"Move! Let me take a look." The voice is urgent yet soft. A hand lands on YiHuang's shoulder and pushes him aside. The latter resists but gives way immediately when he realizes that it is none other than his brother. "What... "

"Shut up. Let me do my job." The crown prince touches the unconscious man's chest before leaning in.

YiHuang knows that the act is merely for medical reasons, but it still angers him. However, the older misses the look on account of him being busy examining Zhang.

"His windpipe has swollen. His lungs are collapsing." YiYiang informs, rushing past YiHuang, who follows the older. He is stopped almost immediately. "Find something to block the entrance!" The older orders, and like always, YiHuang complies.

Barely half a minute later, YiYang returns to Zhang's side with a part of the machinery that was once part of the latter's space vehicle. He adjusts the equipment; pulling out his sword, he screws open the hilt and attaches it to the exposed wire.

"Brother, what should I do next?" YiHuang asks, placing the levitating bolder next to the cave's opening.

"Come inside and seal the cave." The older instructs. And a moment later, the cave is thrust into darkness.

Two pairs of faintly glowing eyes lock on each other a second before the cave floods with dim white light. Next to Zhang, the equipment YiYang had carried inside comes to life and hums.
"Ah-Huang, come here," YiYang calls. "Breathe into his mouth."

"Mn!?" The younger's eyes widen.

"If you don't do it, I will. I am more experienced in this particular technique... "

"I will do it!" YiHuang rushes to Zhang's side; without a moment's delay, he parts the latter's lips and seals them with his before breathing into it. Meanwhile, YiYang leans towards his chest and waits for the human to respond. "Long breaths, little brother. Pretend that I am not here." The older teases.

Luckily for YiHuang, his brother misses the flush spreading over his neck and cheeks. He ignores the crazy rhythm of his heart and continues to breathe life into the human. He prays to the powers that be to return the human to him. It's not his first time praying. But it is his first time asking for something not for others but for himself.

Prays are powerful. So powerful that it can trick death, or so the Yuanjians believed. YiHuang, however, was not a believer. For he did not believe in powers he could not see or explain.
The second prince did not know it yet, but that was about to change.

YiYang leans back. "His lungs are reacting to your ministrations." He states, gesturing the younger to stop. "I think you have done enough... for now." The crown prince smirks. Then, catching the latter's scandalized gaze, he presses on. "YiHuang, I won't pressure you for answers now, but know that I need them."

YiHuang nods. "Thank you for coming to my aid, brother."

"Save it. You are my person. You have shielded me more times than I can remember." The crown prince pats his brother's arm. "Even when you disapproved of my actions, you stood by me. I had always thought that I won't be able to return your favors, but now I think I can."

YiHuang remains silent and lowers his eyes.

"I will retrieve everything that I can salvage from his vehicle. Hopefully, we can find something useful in there. Give me your sword."