Chapter 14

Already a man of few words, YiHuang goes absolutely silent. As the arms pull him closer, securing themselves around him, he tries to relax. He fails. If anything, his body goes stiff as in ironing board.

Zhang leaves a shaky breath against the nape of his neck before stepping away. He smiles impishly and scratches the back of his neck, clearly embarrassed at what he had done. Then, glancing at the exit that was still blocked by the rock, he says in a shy tone, "Best case scenario, this works, worse, it fails, and I die. I did not want to regret not thanking you for all that you have done for me." He explains.

"Do you truly want to thank me?" YiHuang inquiries, narrowing his eyes as if to observe the man in front of him.

"Of course," Zhang replies. His fingers tap the mask he had removed before launching himself at the Yuanjian. "I am sorry if I startled you. I didn't..."

"If you want to thank me, then shouldn't you ask me what I want instead of doing something you want?" YiHuang's eyes blaze.

'Did I offend him somehow?' Zhang wonders, and meeting the dark orbs, replies, "You are my savior and benefactor; as long as it's mine to offer, you can have anything you want."

It's Zhang's turn to go silent when less than a heartbeat later, the prince steps into his personal space, and staring intently at him, speaks, "I will hold you to it, then." He takes the mask from the human's hand and adjusts it on his face, "Once we are back, I will ask for it."
YiHuang steps away; intertwining their fingers, he moves towards the exit. He slides the rock closing the cave's mouth with his free hand, exiting it with Zhang in tow. He turns Zhang to face him and gestures him to breathe just like they had planned the night before.
Zhang nods and pulls in a slow breath. Meanwhile, YiHuang waits patiently by his side.

Zhang takes another breath. "It's working!" He exclaims excitedly and smiles before moving his eyes excitedly over his surroundings. 'It's a garden.' Zhang reckons, 'It looks like the ones in pictures depicting heaven, a place fit for Gods and immortals.' And whispers mesmerized. "It's beautiful!"

"Yes, it is." The Yuanjian agrees, following Zhang's eyes. "We learned from our mistake." His words hold a hint of pride and his eyes affection. The words that follow, however, are laced with an undercurrent of hopelessness, "I wish we could keep it forever."

Zhang doesn't miss it. He tries to voice his thoughts but just then, his eyes catch a movement from the corner of his eyes; he turns swiftly, "What was that?"

"It's Xihun." The prince replies. "Would you like to look at it up close?"

Xihun was a gentle, giant bird that could be compared to the Indian Peacock. The difference between the two species being that the Xihun's feathers were a vibrant vermillion while the Peacock's looked like a limited-colored rainbow; when unfurled, the Xihun's feathers looked like a mix between fire and molten lava. Both males and females of the species possessed them. The Xihun were worshipped by the Yuanjians, who believed that the First could escape from their home planet due to his pet Xihuns sacrificing themselves to buy time.

Zhang's smile brightens. "Can we do that?"

"Yes, Xihun are the softest creatures in existence." The prince replies. He points towards a spot where the bird had disappeared. "In the middle of the grove, there is a pond. It's a place where you can see most creatures of the grove. They usually gather there at dusk and dawn."

Zhang glances at the sun. "Will we be able to catch them if we go there now?"
YiHuang looks scandalized for a moment. "Catch them?" He asks. His eyes are filled with judgment.

Zhang laughs softly, "I mean, to see them. Will we get to see them?" He points at the barely risen sun. "It's almost dawn."

YiHuang feels like a fool. However, he successfully manages to keep his face neutral. He nods, "Alright."