Chapter 4

~

It had been around a week since you met Tadashi and you were already best friends with him and his brother, as well as his friends from the S.F.I.T. You usually visited after school when Tadashi and his friends were in their labs, working on their projects. The S.F.I.T ended before your college did, so there was no need for you to worry about walking in on them in classes.

You were walking to the lab with Tadashi since he insisted on showing you what he'd been working on as a surprise. He opened the door slowly, revealing the inside of his lab. It had a circular window at the end that looked down at the city of San Fransokyo. It was a breath-taking. You leaned toward the window and glanced outside, seeing the cherry blossoms in the distance sway from side to side in the gentle breeze.

The people walking down below looked almost like ants, going about their daily lives. This side of San Fransokyo wasn't as busy, although there were quite a few cars driving past. Everything looked much clearer; there was no smoke emitting from trucks or buildings blocking the way. You could see the sky, the clouds, and the birds that chirped when they flew by.

Tadashi's lab seemed messy, yet organised at the same time. The desks had metal pieces all over them, but there was enough space to do work. There were stools scattered all across the room, and portable storage drawers in random areas of the lab. Tools and other bits and pieces were dispersed around, also.

Your attention from the window was drawn away when Tadashi approached you with a roll of duct tape. "What's that for?" you puzzled. Tadashi ripped a piece off and rolled your sleeves up. He placed the tape on your arm and glanced up at you with a small grin. "This may hurt," he said. In an instant, he ripped the duct tape off. "Ouch!" you cried, the patch of skin suddenly burning. "What was that for!"

Tadashi didn't say anything, but gave you a smirk instead. A red charging station behind Tadashi beeped, a white robot inflating out of it slowly. "What the..." you breathed out, clutching your forearm close to your chest.

"This is what I've been working on," Tadashi explained smugly. The robot approached you slowly, moving things out of their path in a very gentle manner. You were a bit cautious, but they had a friendly aura to them. You trusted Tadashi's coding. "Hello, I am Baymax," the robot greeted, "your personal healthcare companion. I was alerted to the need for medical attention when you said 'Ouch'."

Baymax was very round, almost like a marshmallow. Their face was designed to look gentle and welcoming, which suited a robot nurse such as them. You pressed your finger against their stomach, unsurprised at how soft it felt. "Woah," you marvelled.

"On a scale from one to ten, how would you rate your pain?" Baymax asked.

"A four, I guess," you hesitated.

"I will now scan you," Baymax looked you up and down for a moment. "Scan complete." A picture of an outlined human body appeared on his stomach, showing a red patch on the right forearm. "You have a slight epidermal abrasion on your forearm. I suggest an anti-bacterial spray." Baymax gently took your arm in their squishy hands and sprayed the patch of skin with the anti-bacterial spray. "You have been a good person, have a lollipop!"

"Thanks, Baymax," you grinned, taking the lollipop from them.

"I cannot deactivate until you say you are satisfied with your care," Baymax explained.

"I am satisfied with my care," you repeated. Baymax retreated back into their charging station, deflating into it as it closed. "That was so cool. The duct tape thing was unnecessary, though," you said. Tadashi laughed in response and he leaned on his desk. He took off his hat and ran his fingers through his hair before glancing out the window. You followed his glance out the window and picked up a metal bolt to play around with.