Chapter 10

~

The dark circles under your eyes had become more noticeable.

It was getting harder to drag yourself out of bed each morning. Daily hygiene was being forgotten. You had no motivation. "[Y/N], you need to start taking care of yourself," your mother told you, sitting next to you on your bed. "You're forgetting basic hygiene, your room is a mess, and you haven't been sleeping at all. I understand that you're hurting, but you need to look after yourself, especially now."

"I know," you sighed. "I'm trying. I really am."

"Please, go have a shower now," your mother demanded, but in a kind tone. She grabbed your hand and pulled you into the bathroom, passing a towel to you. She closed the door and you just stood there, staring at the towel in your hand. Reluctantly, you turned the water on in the shower and got undressed. Feeling the lukewarm water against your skin felt strange, yet refreshing. You stood underneath the showerhead, letting the water fall onto your skin.

After the shower, you felt clean. You got dressed into some comfortable clothes and asked your mother to drop you off at the hospital to visit Tadashi. She happily accepted the request and soon, you were sitting next beside Tadashi. You brought a book with you to read to him.

"Hey Tadashi," you greeted. The pain in your heart still hurt, even after trying to convince yourself that everything would be fine. "I, uh... brought a book to read."

You had no clue why you were talking to him.

Maybe you wanted to convince yourself that he was awake and healthy.

You opened up the book and read a few chapters, stopping every few moments to glance at Tadashi. When you finished reading a little bit of the book, you stood up and planted a small kiss on his forehead. 

You messaged your mum to come pick you up and within a few minutes, you were in the car driving home. You still hadn't seen Hiro since what happened the last time you were at the hospital. You had been keeping your distance from him after all, hoping that he just needed some time to be by himself. "I'm proud of you," your mother said while she was driving.

"Huh?" you puzzled.

"I'm proud of you," she repeated. "You've been handling yourself well since the... the fire. It must be so hard waiting and waiting for him to wake up and every day you lose a little more hope of him ever coming back. I don't know what to say, but know that I'm here for you when you need me."

"I don't know if skipping meals and ignoring basic hygiene is considered 'handling myself well'," you joked, slowly shrinking into your seat. "But, yeah... I'm trying to stay optimistic, I even read to him to keep my hopes up. Hiro wonders if he'll ever wake up. It's hard falling asleep at night knowing that there's a chance that that night was the last time I ever spoke to him."

"I know how much you love Tadashi," your mother commented, making your face flush red with embarrassment. "I can't ask you to stay optimistic for me and I won't. Just know that I understand why you're so fond of him. From what I've seen, he's sweet, caring, and a handsome boy. He'll push through."

"Thanks, Mum," you smiled gently. "That actually means a lot to me. I know I can count on you to make me feel better." Your mother smiled back and pulled up to the driveway. You sat at your desk and tried to steer away any thoughts of Tadashi. You had to stay focused if you wanted to catch up with all your school work.