Chapter 16

~

Ever since Tadashi woke up, things were starting to look up. Your grades were increasing, your motivation to write was slowly coming back, and you were finding ways to spend more time with the gang, or Tadashi if you had to be completely honest.

However, you couldn't help but think of the past repeating itself. What if an accident like the fire happened again? Sometimes when you'd look at Tadashi, he wouldn't be standing there. He'd be gone and you'd be left without him. Everyone else would fade along with him and you'd be all by yourself with the guilt of being too late.

You let out a breath and erased any negative thoughts that were floating in your mind. Tadashi had asked for you to come over and you couldn't be upset around him. As you were walking, you quietly sang to the song that you were listening to. "Was it something I said to make you feel like you're a burden..." you mumbled, swaying your head from side to side.

You switched the song off when you saw the café in the distance. You pushed open the door and Cass greeted you with a smile, as she usually did. You made a beeline to Tadashi and Hiro's room. You poked your head around the corner of their room and you noticed that Hiro wasn't there. He was probably out with the gang, trying to find the guy who stole his microbots. "Tadashi?" you called out.

"I'm here," he called back. You took a step into the room and joined Tadashi on his bed behind the divider. He placed a book on his bedside table and sat up, facing you. "What's up?" you asked. "You asked me to come over."

"Right, right," he nodded. "I wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?" you tilted your head. Nervousness bubbled in your chest. What did he want to ask you? You thought back to your time with him - had you said anything bad? You fiddled with your fingers and tried to ignore how sweaty your palms were. "I've noticed that you've been acting weird around me," he said. "You always seem nervous, like you're scared of me. Have I done anything wrong?"

You weren't surprised that he had noticed your recent awkwardness around him, but you never expected him to confront you about it. "Have I?" you blurted out. "That must be because I'm an awkward person, y'know."

"I don't know," Tadashi shrugged. "You're usually comfortable around me, so I got the idea that I had done something to make you feel awkward."

"No, not at all!" you said. "You've never made me feel uncomfortable."

"That's a relief," he sighed out contently. "If there's anything on your mind, please let me know. I want to be the kind of person that you can talk to about all your problems."

"You already are that person," you smiled. "Don't worry, if I had anything on my mind, I'd tell you." That last bit wasn't exactly a lie. You would tell him if there was something wrong, but your feelings toward him were something you couldn't tell him. The silence between the two of you was unbearable, so you stood up and brushed yourself off. Without looking over at Tadashi, you said, "I should get going now. Bye."

You didn't turn back to look at him, but he mumbled out a quick goodbye just before you disappeared down the stairs. Cass was serving a few customers at the register and once they left, she walked up to you. "You're going to have to tell him one way or another," she said, then walked off without another word. You let out an exhale and pushed open the door, exiting.

Cass was right, but you wished she wasn't.