-S E V E N-

Chapter 7

We were in the car driving home, the date went fine. He was nice and smart and we made polite conversation.

My only problem with him was that he ordered for me. It wasn't even what he ordered, he ordered me a salad. I hate salads, I'm not a rabbit so why should I eat like one.

I thought I heard someone yelling for help. It sounded like they were yelling for... Darry. Shit that was Ponyboy.

"Stop the car." I cut James off from his rant about the Beatles.

"What? Why?" He slowed

"Just let me out here." I opened the door as he slowed to a stop.

"What are you doing?"

I got out of the car, "Dinner was great, call me sometime." I yelled as I ran towards the voice.

"What are you doing?!" He called after me. I just kept running.

Fuck these boots are hard to run in. I thought but I just kept running.

I soon ran onto a street in time to see a blue mustang peeling away as the rest of the gang chased after it.

Dally picked up a branch and hurled it at the car.

I looked over to see Darry kneeling by someone on the ground as Sodapop ran over to him.

The person on the ground sat up and I realized it was Pony and I ran over.

"They ain't gonna hurt you no more," I heard Soda reassuring Pony.

Soda had helped Pony stand by the time I had gotten to them. I tackled Ponyboy in a hug. He stumbled back a bit as I tightly hugged him.

"Whoa Cal, where did you come from?" He asked. I let go and took a step back.

"I heard you yelling and I just ran. What happened," he was holding a rag to a long cut across his neck. I took his face in my hands and tilted his head so I could see the cut better. "What happened?"

He looked down and mumbled, "Damn Socs,"

"Well, it doesn't look too deep but make sure to put some peroxide on it."

"Whatcha' doing walking by yourself, you don't ever think," Darry said.

We were walking back to the Curtis house. Dally was walking with Johnny while Steve and Two-Bit ran ahead. I walked a couple paces away from Darry and Sodapop and Ponyboy. Darry seemed tense.

"All's I did was walk home from the movies," Pony protested.

"Movies and books, movies and books. You know I wish you could concentrate on something else just once and a while."

"You should concentrate on girls and cars. Works for me." Soda joked.

Darry just rolled his eyes. "If you had to go, why didn't you carry a blade?"

We all stopped in front of the house.

"Aw yeah, that woulda been a great excuse for the socs to cut his neck a little more," Soda gestured to Pony's neck.

"If I want my kid brother to tell me what to do with my other kid brother I'll ask you. Alright kid brother?" Darry threw the stick he was holding at the ground.

"Hey, don't talk to him like that." Pony said, raising his voice a little.

"Shut up!" Darry yelled at Pony. I turned to look at them.