-E I G H T-

I was hiding. It was Friday night and I stood with my back to the wall behind the concessions stand of the drive-in while the rest of the gang watched the movie.

I hate horror movies with every fiber of my being. I do not understand anyone who not only chooses to watch them but actually likes them. It's not the violence I don't like, it's the jumpscares. You have no control and no warning. They are awful.

About ten minutes in I offered to get everyone snacks.

I figured I had been gone long enough so I started walking to actually get the snacks.

"Hey." I heard someone say from behind me.

I whirled around and fell backward. I got startled and fell. Like a goat.

"Oh god, are you okay,"

As I laid on my back and stared at the stars I thought about three things: One, the person speaking to me was Darry. Two, now I really do wish there was someone out to murder me because I want to die. And three: God I hate horror movies.

I sat up coughing as Darry kneeled next to me. "Sorry darlin'. Didn't mean to scare ya."

"It's fine, horror movies make me jumpy."

"I think you meant fall-y" I gave him a half-hearted glade. He held his hands up in defense, "I'm just kidding. Lucky for me horror movies don't make you punchy."

I rolled my eyes but smiled as Darry helped me up and we made our way over to the concession stand.

"So why'd you come find me?"

Darry shrugged, "I noticed you'd been gone a while and I can't say I like horror movies all that much."

"Oh thank god!" I exclaimed. "I hate these stupid movies."

"They never put enough care into the plot. It's like the writers are so focused on creating the scary stuff they don't actually put enough effort into making the scary stuff make sense."

"That's your problem with the movies? How about the fact that they make you piss yourself and then you think you're about to die at any moment?"

"They're not that scary. Just remind yourself it's just a movie."

"You're just a movie," I grumbled under my breath. He looked down at me with a very confused expression. I looked back at him."I ran out of witty remarks."

By this time we had ordered and gotten our food back. I went to grab my wallet but Darry had already paid.

"Hey!" I objected. "I was gonna do that."

He shrugged as he pocketed his change. "Whoops"

We made our way back to the guys as I plotted a way to pay Darry back.

We handed out the snacks and there was a chorus of 'thank yous' along with Dally's charming "Took you long enough."

I retaliated by throwing some popcorn at his head.

I flinched as a jumpscare flashed across the screen, I almost tipped backwards out of my seat because it caught me so off guard.

Darry noticed and slung an arm around me and pulled me into him. I looked up at him and mouthed 'Thank you'.

As the movie got scarier I shoved myself further into Darry's side.

I responded to another jumpscare by burying my head into his chest.

He leaned down and whispered into my ear. "You can look now." I just shook my head and kept it right where it was. He just laughed.

Halfway through the film, I was getting antsy. I reached into my back pocket, pulled out a pen, and started doodling on my arm. When I ran out of room on my arm I moved to my jeans.

"You're gonna wreck those jeans." Darry quietly said.

I simply shrugged. "I ran out of space on my arm."

He silently reached out his right arm and laid it across my leg, he still had his other arm around my shoulders.

I looked up at him, "You sure?"

"Do me a favor and draw something manly."

"Got it, lots and lots of flowers," I said as I started to draw.

The movie had finished and we were on our way home. Soda had dipped halfway though the movie, said he can't sit still long enough to enjoy a movie and Steve went with him. Dal left right after the movie finished to go hunt some action.

Ponyboy, Johnny, and Two-bit walked in front of me and Darry. I rubbed my arms in an attempt to warm up as a cold breeze blew by.

"Chilly?" Darry asked me.

"Just a bit,"

He took off his flannel. I protested, "No I can't take your coat. Then you'll be cold."

He laughed at me, "I'll be fine doll, just take it." He slung it around my shoulders.

"Thank you," I said, slipping my arms into the sleeves. I was drowning in it.

Darry and kept talking as we walked. Without his flannel, he was left in a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt that hugged his muscles. He had very nice muscles. Wait, what was he saying?

He was ranting about everything wrong with the movie we had just watched while I admired his muscles. It's not like I was checking him out or anything. I was simply admiring

As he was talking I thought of how I could pay him back for the snacks. I slowly reached into my back pocket and pulled out a 5 dollar bill and slipped it into the pocket of his flannel.

I was very pleased with myself.

A/N- Just some quality bonding time for Cal and Darry. This is the first thing I've ever written and I am struggling. Like I have one-shots and stuff written but no actual story arc. Also instead of Cal going to Harvard, she's going to Vanderbilt law, it'll make more sense later in the story. If anyone wants to dm please do. I need more online friends, and more people to fangirl over the outsiders with. Anyways, thanks for reading and vote ig.