-N I N E-

Chapter 8

Cal's Pov

    I was hanging out in my room reading a book while one of Buck's parties was raging downstairs.
Why do I basically live in a frat house?
The phone on my bedside table rang.
    I reached over and picked it up."Hello?" I asked as I put it to my ear.
    "Hey Cal, it's Darry. Look I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I hope you're not busy or anything."
    "I'm not doing anything, what do you need?"
    "I told Pony he could go to the party at Bucks tonight as long as Soda went with him cause Sodapop don't drink. They were supposed to be home a half-hour ago. I hate to ask but can you go find them and tell them they best be on their way home?" His southern accent was real thick, something that happened when he got nervous or worried.
    "Yeah sure. Let me put on some pants and I'll go find him."
    "Thanks. I really appreciate it."
    "I don't mind," I said, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder as I pulled on some jeans.
    "Wait, did you say you didn't have pants on?"
    "Yeah. Why are you so concerned about whether or not I have pants on?" I teased.
    "Oh- I... uh," He stuttered into the phone. "I didn't know if I was interruptin' somethin' "
    I laughed into the phone. "Relax Dare, I'm just messin with ya. All's I meant was I'm wearin' shorts. And I ain't about to go down into a Buck party like that."
    "Oh okay." He said with relief lacing his voice.
    "Alright Dare, I'll call you in a minute." I hung up and started to make my way downstairs.
    Just as I expected a Buck party was in full swing. Dal was making out with a girl. I internally gaged.
    When I got to the base of the stairs I looked around and spotted Pony trying to control a very clearly drunk Soda.
    Soda was a mopey drunk.
    "Hey Cal mind if I get some help here?" Pony asked, swaying under Soda's weight.
    "Yea that's actually why I'm here. Darry called he said you missed curfew by 30 minutes and to tell you to get home but I don't think walking is the best idea with Soda... well... shitfaced."
    "Yeah, I don't think I can walk him home like this." Soda pushed off Ponyboy and stumbled onto me. I nearly buckled under the sudden weight. "Darry is gonna be so pissed."
    "Look, I'll call Dare and tell him to drive here and pick you guys up. You probably got like ten maybe fifteen minutes before Darry will get here. Get him into the sower and make it cold. Hopefully, he'll sober up a bit. "
    "Thanks, you're a lifesaver." I shifted Soda back onto Pony and made my way to the bar and grabbed the phone. I also tossed Pony a solo cup and told him to fill it with water and make Soda chug it.
    The phone rang once before Darry picked up. "Hello?" He asked anxiously.
    "Hey Dare, Soda had a bit too much to drink. I think you should come and pick them up."
    "Alright. I'll be there soon."
    "'Kay see ya soon." He hung up and I started to make some coffee for Soda.
    After about ten minutes I saw Darry walk through the front door and I made my way over to him.
    "Hey." He greeted tiredly.
    "Hey, Pony is helping Soda shower right now. I can show you to my room." Darry just nodded. I felt bad for him.
    He was only 20. He shouldn't have to deal with this shit yet.
    A couple of guys leered at me and made me uncomfortable. Darry noticed and slung an arm around me and pulled me through the crowd to the stairs.
    "Thanks for that. Those parties aren't really my thing." I said as we made our way into my room. He sat on my bed.
    "No problem. And I can't say I care for them either."
    We sat in comfortable silence for a couple of minutes until Darry said. "Jesus, how long does it take to take a shower?"
    I chucked "He was pretty hammered."
    Darry rubbed his face. "I just don't understand how Soda could do something like this."
    "You remember being 16 and dumb."
    "I might have snuck a beer once or twice but I never did shit like this."
    "Yeah, neither did I," I said sitting on the bed next to him and laying back.
    Darry leaned back too. "Taking care of them is just so damn difficult. It just feels like everything I do is wrong." I turned my head towards him. "I'm too hard on Pony, I don't even know how to talk to him anymore. They deserve better than this. They deserve better than me. "
    I flicked his nose. "You're too hard on yourself." He turned his head to look at me. "Pony knows you want what's best for him and if he doesn't see it now he will. It'll get better. I promise."
    "How do you know? How do you know it'll get better?"
    I turned my head back towards the ceiling and shrugged. "I don't know. I just... do."
    "What if things get worse?"
    "After that, they get better. You just gotta keep going and trust thing will turn around. Forward is kinda your only direction so why bother fighting it. I mean my life was pretty shit. A lot of the time I just wanted to end it but I kept going and I'm pretty fucking happy I did."
    "Why?"He asked and looked at me.
    "Cause I got to meet you guys." I turned my head towards him.
    We stared at each other for a while until Darry started to talk. "I-"
    He was cut off by the door banging open and an only slightly tipsy Soda came bargain in accompanied by Ponyboy and Two-Bit.
We sat up.
    Soda walked over and collapsed into a chair by the closet. He looked miserable.
    "How ya feelin' lil man?" Dare asked Soda.
    "Terrible. Can we go home?"
    "Yeah, we best get goin'."
    "Awe common. The party just started." A tipsy Two-Bit exclaimed.
    "Two, the party started hours ago," I said.
    "Okay," he said and started to go downstairs.
    Pony followed with Soda close behind. Darry and I walked just behind them.
    "I think Soda's hangover will be enough of a punishment," Darry muttered to me as we followed Soda out of my room.
    "But you're still gonna punish him right?" I asked.
    "Oh for sure." He said making us laugh.
    We walked back into the main room. Dal was still with his girl and Steve was hitting on one by the bar.
    We were about halfway across the room when a guy stepped in front of me and Darry. The guy was very drunk.
    "Hey pretty lady" He slurred. "Wanna dance?"
    "Um, no thank you," I said and went to step around him but he moved in front of me.
    "What, you think you're too good for me?" He was starting to get mad. "Common just one dance."
    I started getting nervous.
    "She said no," Darry said, cutting in between us. "Now I suggest you get moving."
    The man sized up Darry and mumbled something under his breath and walked away towards the bar behind us.
I went to take a step forward but I felt someone grab my ass.
I wirled around and saw the guy with a smug smile on his face, next to me Darry was fuming. He put his arm out and slightly pushed me behind him.
"Whass yer problem?" The guy asked Darry.
We were making a scene. Dally stoped making out with his chick and Steve started to walk over.
"You're my problem."
"Chill man, sshe's juss a whore."
Darry's fist went flying. He made contact with the guy's face, the man stumbled back.
Steve came running over and started to push Darry out the door with the help of Soda.
Pony grabbed me and hauled me out the door.
Dally pushed the chick he was making out with to the side and ran over. Buck came running up and with Dally's help held the guy back.
I the sounds of a fight going from inside.
Soda and Steve had gotten Darry out of the bar and Soda sure looked sober now.
Dally came out behind me.
"You alright Dare?" Steve asked.
"I'm fine. No one should touch a woman like that without her permission, ever." Darry made eye contact with all the guys, "Got it?"
They all nodded. "Alight now you two get in the truck." He said ruffling Pony's hair and lightly pushing him towards the truck.
Two and Steve went back to the party as Soda and Pony hoped into the truck.
Dal shook Darry's hand in some sort of bro hug "Thanks for helpin' her man."
"No problem." Dare responded.
Dally turned to me, "He wont be able to eat anything but jello for a few days," Dal leaned in and whispered "And that was before me and Buck got to him." He patted my shoulder and headed into the party.
I was shocked. No one had every protected me the way these guys had just done.
I wrapped my arms around myself.
"Hey, you okay?" Darry asked me. Putting his hands on my shoulders and looking into my eyes.
"Yeah, just a little shook up. Thanks for that. You didn't have to do that."
"It was nothin'," He said and pulled me into a hug.
After a minute he let me go and we said our goodbyes. I leaned on a post and watched as he pulled away. I felt, cared for

A/N- Okay so I'm editing old parts of the story as I continue writing it so quick note, I changed Cal, she now looks like Megan Fox and Soda didn't agree to go to therapy. Thanks for reading. Don't forget to vote.