Duo

Chapter Two: The St. Therese Charity House

 Therese Charity House

          It was an early rainy morning

          It was an early rainy morning. Dark, heavy clouds loomed over the City of Soren when Father Azrael arrived in the city airport via private airplane commissioned by the Apostolic Nunciature. He had only one luggage in hand and a sling bag containing his personal needs. He was to be greeted by a priest from the Archbishop Palace of Soren and that priest was already waiting for him in the airport lounge area.

He wasn't wearing a priestly robe during the flight, but realizing the immensity of his popularity in the conclave community, it was no wonder the priest recognized him instantly even in his public clothing of black slacks, a white long-sleeved turtleneck shirt, and a black trench coat.

The priest stood up and waved a hand on his way. Father Azrael curved a small smile and proceeded to where he stood.

Father Zefron Mathews was a priest four years older than him. He wore correctional glasses and had a neat army haircut. He was as tall as Father Azrael but had a more sociable aura and a ready practiced smile. When they stood an arm's-length away, it was Father Zefron who exhibited a holier aura considering he wore a common white cassock.

"Father Azrael, I am Father Zefron Matthews the secretary of Bishop Elliot. Welcome to the small and humble City of Soren," he greeted warmly as he stretched a hand on him. His voice was soft, like a woman's, and Father Azrael thought that it was odd.

"Father Zefron, good to meet you," he greeted in return and shook his hand.

"Right this way please," Father Zefron motioned and off they rode an escalator going to the first floor. When they were halfway up, it was he who opened up a light conversation first. "The Bishop has been waiting for you for quite some time now. He was beginning to wonder why the Holy Pope didn't send you here earlier."

Father Azrael's expression remained neutral. "He probably has his own reasons," he replied with due reservation. He knew the reasons however, but it was a matter only him and the Pope knew about, and of course a handful of other clergymen who preferred to stay silent about it.