vii. clearance and clashes

-ˋˏ *

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-

"WELL?" SIRIUS ASKS, FOLDING HIS ARMS and looking expectantly at Harry. Remus nudges him rather harshly in the ribs.

"Show a bit more compassion, arsehole."

"Oh, so sorry Harry," Sirius says, rolling his eyes. "Did the ministry kick you out or not?" That earns him a slap upside the head.

"Cleared," Harry says, his face splitting into a wide grin. "They didn't expel me."

"Fuck yes!" James cheers, pushing past everyone and throwing his arms around his son. Remus and Molly both tut lightly, but no one was going to intrude on the happiness practically radiating off of the elder Potter.

"Well?" Luiza asks, hurrying down the stairs. James snorts as Remus rolls his eyes.

"You're exactly like your bloody father," he mutters. "C'mon you, let's go help with lunch." He and Sirius disappear in the direction of the kitchen, bittering light-heartedly as they do so.

"I can go back to Hogwarts," Harry says. Luiza's shoulders sag with relief and she flings her arms around Harry. James steps away from the pair, still wearing a grin the size of his face as he sidles up to where Polaris is leaning against the banister.

"Food'll be ready soon," he says. Polaris nods vaguely, barely listening. "You gonna be alright?"

"I'm a big girl James," Polaris sighs. "I can manage."

"I know," James says. "But like if you need a breather or anything, you can take one, yeah?"

"I know," Polaris says. "Thanks." James nods, slipping away after Harry and Luisa. Polaris hesitates, fingers hovering over the banister. Her skin is crawling with embarrassment, because James fucking Potter had just seen her have a mild breakdown. She could just go upstairs, claim she had a headache, or she could just woman up and go into the kitchen. There was no doubt of some sort of party, and if anything, it was an excuse to drink.

"Listen, Sirius, Lucius Malfoy was at the Ministry," Arthur says as Polaris enters. She pales slightly, and collapses into a seat next to Nadya.

"What?" Sirius says sharply, the smile slipping from his face.

"He got off, he got off, he got off!" Fred, George, Ginny, and Asher are chanting at the top of their lungs.

"Be quiet, you four! Yes, we saw him talking to Fudge on level nine, then they went up to Fudge's office together. Dumbledore ought to know." Fucking Dumbledore.

"Absolutely," Sirius nods. "We'll tell him, don't worry."

"Well, I'd better get going, there's a vomiting toilet in Bethnal Green waiting for me. Molly, I'll be late, I'm covering for Tonks, but Kingsley might be dropping in for dinner—"