xi. merlin only knows

-ˋˏ *

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-ˎˊ

IT'S VERY STRANGE, TO BE IN such a quiet Grimmauld. Molly and Arthur had left, leaving just the marauders and Polaris, and Nadya of course. Polaris hadn't even glimpsed Sirius since she had prevented their argument, and she only really saw Remus. James was holed up in his room, doing Merlin knows what, and she literally had no clue where Sirius was or what he was doing.

   Polaris spent most of her time with Nadya, who was nearly attached to her. Nadya was very good at filling silence, and spoke to Polaris about anything she could think of. Polaris could tell Nadya didn't like being at Grimmauld anymore than she did, and she liked her schoolings with Remus even less.

   "I don't want to," Nadya scowls, glaring at Remus. Remus pinches the bridge of his nose, sighing deeply. He's been having the same argument with Nadya every single day, and is pretty much ready to give up and leave her uneducated.

   "Nadya," Polaris says, soft but stern. "You do as your Dad says, alright?"

   "But I don't want to!" Nadya pouts, folding her arms. Polaris raises her eyebrows.

   "Nads, you need to do school stuff or you won't be able to go to Hogwarts," she says. Nadya hesitates, looking from Polaris to Remus, who nods. Why hadn't he thought of that threat before?

   "Yes I will," Nadya says, a little uncertain. "I don't need muggle things to go to Hogwarts."

   "Yes you do," Polaris says firmly. "You need muggle things to do anything in life, silly. How are you meant to read textbooks if you can't read? How are you meant to weigh out potion ingredients if you can't count?"

   Nadya frowns.

   "Everyone who goes to Hogwarts knows all their school things," Polaris continues. "You don't want to be left out, do you?"

   Nadya shakes her head. "Okay," she says. "Come on Dad."

   Remus stares at her for a second, and then looks to Polaris, mouthing a thank you as Nadya takes him by the hand and drags him off.

   Polaris doesn't know what to do with herself now Nadya's gone. She picks up an old book from the shelf, blowing off some dust. She hastily replaces it as she reads the title, deciding she doesn't particularly want to read about fifty-four ways to dismember your house elf. Although, she wouldn't particularly mind if Kreacher got dismembered.

   She decides that a cigarette will cure her boredom, so she heads towards the back door, smiling slightly as she hears Nadya's reading to Remus. She speaks slowly, but the words are all correct.

   The garden is as overgrown as ever, and she wonders for a moment if gardening would be a good use of her time. If she could work a wand, maybe, but she wasn't about to tackle it by hand. She picks her wand out of her pocket, hoping to feel some form of rush or something. It feels the same, as if she was holding a twig.