xii. words of affection

-ˋˏ *

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-ˎˊ

POLARIS IS VERY GLAD THAT SHE isn't the one who left the house. James has been told off by Remus, Moody, Molly, Mcgonagall and Dumbledore. He's in an absolute horrendous mood as he slides Polaris a beer across the table.

"Beer?" Polaris snorts. "What do you take me for Potter? I don't drink beer."

"Oh just drink it," James says, rolling his eyes. "Sorry m'lady, I'll bear that in mind next time you tell me to get you a drink."

"You'd better," Polaris says. She stares at the cap of the beer, watching as James flicks his off with a tap of his wand. Her own wand lies dead in her pocket, and James is already suspicious.

"That's the last time I ever try to do anything nice," James grumbles. "Honestly, I go out to get things to make this shithole a bit less mind numbing and all I get in return is a lecture."

Polaris hums in agreement, standing up to search for a bottle opener. James sighs heavily, slumped back in his chair.

"Surprised you didn't try to stop me," James says. Polaris freezes. No, no, no James can't think that she's a death eater. James can't think that she would ever put him in danger, not now.

She meets his eye, daring him to say something. To accuse her of having some shitty motive to getting him hurt.

"Its not really my place to tell you what to do," Polaris says. James snorts.

"S'not really Remus' either."

"It's more Remus' than mine," Polaris says, locating a rusty bottle opener in a drawer, using it quickly and then slipping it into her pocket. "He was just worried about you, he cares about you."

A beat of silence.

"And you don't?" James asks quietly.

"I didn't say that," Polaris replies. James pushes his glasses further up his nose, taking a sip of beer. Polaris takes a sip of her own, grimacing slightly at the taste.

"Would you have stopped me if I said I wasn't going to come back?" James questions.

Polaris wants to throw up. He thinks she's a death eater. He thinks that she wants him gone.

"Yes," Polaris says. "Of course I would have."

James nods, seemingly satisfied with her answer. Polaris watches him carefully as she sits back down, trying to figure out what's going on in his stupid little James brain.

It's easy to tell when James is lying, but it's never been easy for her to figure out what he's thinking. Maybe it's because James doesn't often lie, but Merlin knows she can see the little cogs in his brain spinning every time she opens her mouth.