Chapter 2 - Courage

Waking up this morning felt like I was still dreaming. My father had gotten up before me. He was actually awake and dressed, and his hair was combed. I walked through the hallway and actually caught him shaving. Shaving.

I couldn't believe it.

Neither could my mom, apparently, because he woke her up as soon as he came downstairs. She had claimed the sofa again, saying it was better than smelling three-day old nacho cheese all night (I don't blame her).

But it was crazy. My entire family was awake before seven in the morning. Sometimes I see my mom before nine, but I've never seen either of them awake this early. And they were making breakfast.

Pancakes, bacon, waffles, eggs.

The house smelled so good. Bacon swirled in the hallway, combing the air around me with such a delicious aroma. I practically drooled all the way to the kitchen. It's been so long since mom made breakfast.

"Hey sugar bug! Grab a plate, we've got everything!" mom chimed as I used the edge of the archway to swing into the kitchen. Her smile was larger than life, and it reached her eyes. The corner of her eyes actually had crinkles. I smiled back at her and happily grabbed a plate, loading it up with whatever was available.

"Am I dreaming?" I asked, pouring syrup over two pancakes. Mom laughed. It was beautiful, light, and full of love. Her blonde hair bobbed as she dumped more eggs onto the big buffet plate.

"I sure hope not! Come on, I'll sit with you." She turned the burners, griddle, and waffle iron off. It didn't take her long to grab a plate of her own and load it up just as mine was. Dad shuffled into the kitchen and smiled at both of us.

"My girls! Good morning!" he sang. My heart. It was beating so warmly. I thought my chest might burst from how happy I was in this moment. It felt like we were whole again. Like we could breathe again. Dad hugged my shoulders, kissing my head as he grabbed his own plate. I followed mom to the table and sat down next to her.

"Now I'm startin' to think I'm dreaming..." she murmured, leaning into me as she sat down. I chuckled but said nothing in return because this breakfast looked too good to not eat straight away. Dad sat down across from mom, flashing her another smile as he did.

"This all looks delicious, Cherry."

I admired them secretly, watching my mom blush and my dad smile endlessly at her.

"Oh hush, you," she swatted him from across the table.

I think we all had things we wanted to say, but no one dared to speak. It was a peaceful silence that settled over the table as we ate, occupied by stolen glances, and tinged cheeks. I was fine with the quiet. We all were.

It was hard to believe this was real. It really was. I would've started talking, but I was just so nervous that this would all go away, that I would wake up from this dream.

But the silence was ruined by a strange clattering. All three of us looked up, at each other, before turning our heads to the foyer. I could see out the front windows from where I sat, and just then a couple figures flashed by the window. More clattering. Then, we heard the mailbox opening.

I shot out of my seat.

"Nelly, don't!" mom urged, but she was too late. I was already marching to the front of our house. I ducked my head, peaking out of the bottom of the front window (we had the shades pulled down most of the way). Two boys ran by again.

I heard heavy footsteps behind me, knowing my father was coming to stop me, but I wouldn't. I wouldn't let this happen again.

"Nel, it's not worth it," he spoke gently, grasping my shoulder. I shrugged him off and turned to face him.