Chapter 13 - Watermelon on the Rocks

In one hand were my shoes, in the other was Avery's hand. This green, knotted bracelet she was wearing kept tickling the inside of my wrist. Being wet from the lake water made the air feel frigid as we walked back home, but her presence made me warm. 

I've learned so much about her this afternoon.

Her favorite color is dark green, she loves cinnamon toast made with an unhealthy amount of butter and sugar, her birthday is in March, and she's not a big fan of cats. Every word she spoke about herself I wanted to hold on to forever. I'm a clutz when it comes to birthdays, though. I know I'll have to write hers into my phone calendar when I get home so I won't forget it.

"So, why did you, uh, why'd you move here?" she asked like she knew it was a sensitive topic. Her shoulders softened but she didn't meet my eye. I swallowed a lump in my throat and looked to the ground. My bare feet were covered in dirt.

"Um," I clutched the heel of my shoes tighter between my fingers, "it's uh..."

"Sorry, you don't have to answer. I'm just being nosy," she said. I looked to her and smiled with a tiny laugh.

"No, it's not that," I said. "It's just kind of dark. It would, uh... ruin the mood." I eyed her subtly to try and figure out what she was thinking. I wanted to tell her. I was finally ready to talk about it with someone.

Avery shrugged, "I don't mind." I hummed and scanned my brain to figure out where to start.

"Well, my, uh, my dad's a drunk. I know he's trying to get sober and all now, but I don't know. I guess it's hard to trust someone that's always let you down, you know?"

Avery nodded.

"He's been a drunk about half my life. He had gotten sober again for a short while when my mom was pregnant with another child, but the... uh," I pressed my eyebrows together as I realized these words were harder to say than I thought, "the baby didn't make it." Avery held my hand tighter. "And it sent him further down that path than before. My mom and I were burning through our savings. She couldn't get a job 'cause as much as everyone was sorry for her, they were equally afraid of her. Like she had some baby-killing disease. Pathetic, really. It makes me so mad."

"Oh, Nel, I'm so sorry," Avery said. The next step she took was closer to me, so our shoulders kept touching as we walked down the forest path. My shoulder felt pink from all the love that was rubbing off Avery onto me. I smiled to let her know it was alright.

"Then, it was unc—well, actually I think he's my great uncle, but I've never called him that. My grandpa's brother on my dad's side. He passed and gave my dad his house. We didn't have to pay a dime. It was weird, but the mortgage payments were piling up so high on the place we lived in North Carolina—and of course we hated it there—it was pretty much a no-brainer to move here. So, yeah. Felt like a miracle, really." I observed Avery and realized she hadn't taken her eyes off me since I started telling the story.

"I'm really glad you moved here," she said. I smiled and bumped her side.

"Oh, shut up. That's just 'cause you got to kiss me," I teased. Avery didn't seem to like that joke. She pinched her eyebrows together and frowned, stopping us in the middle of the path.

"No, I'm serious," she said, reaching up to hold the side of my head. "You're so beautiful, inside and out. Your story... I would never—I could never be as kind as you are now after going through that. That takes a different kind of strength, Nelly. Not everyone can bear pain like that and stay as wonderful as you are."

I took in her expression and my eyes started to sting. I didn't want to cry but I felt so seen and appreciated I just couldn't help it. I whipped my hand up to wipe my eyes before a tear could fall. Avery's thumb pulled at my skin as I looked to the ground.