Chapter 7 - Wolf in the Woods

Dad and I were in big trouble. My mom was waiting on the front porch for us to get home, sitting on the steps because we hadn't purchased any deck furniture yet. The worst part... we forgot to bring her home something to eat.

I know, I know. How could I forget?

Easily.

My mind wasn't in the right place after my dad's condescending comment about the gay thing. That and he agreed to let me go for a run in the woods. It's really more of a walk-jog kind of situation... but either way, I was going in those woods and sludgy emotions aside, I was excited! I've never been anywhere with air as fresh as Oregon and I was so ready to explore the forest.

"Where did you guys sneak off to?" mom pressed as we approached the steps. Dad looked like a dog caught eating the contents of a trashcan. His head was down, scuffing his feet back and forth while he waited for me to answer for him.

"We went to find coffee, then ended up getting breakfast. We found Jo and Logan at the place we went to. Sat with them and talked for a little," I answered. Mom narrowed her eyes.

"And where's my breakfast?" she asked, staring at my dad. He slumped his shoulders.

"Sorry, Cher, I forgot..." he trailed off. My mom smiled, standing up to give my dad a hug.

"It's okay, I'm just messin' with ya. I'm so happy to see you getting out of the house, Art," she said lightheartedly. I realized they weren't paying any attention to me, so I slowly slipped away. I wanted to find my running shoes. I know it's not good to run so soon after eating but to be fair, dad ate most of my breakfast. I'm not the most patient person in the world either, so sue me.

I darted up the porch steps, then straight up the stairs into my room. I didn't have to look far to find my sneakers. I hadn't put them away yet; they were just thrown against the wall.

I was downstairs before I knew it, changed, and ready for a run. Right as I was running down the steps to my porch, my mom stopped me by grabbing me by the arm.

"Where are you going?" she asked rather forcefully. I turned to her with wide eyes, not realizing dad probably didn't tell her.

"For a run?" I answered. Mom raised an eyebrow, looking to my dad. I did the same.

"Not in those woods you're not," she said, slowly turning back to me. She was completely serious. Her eyes were daring me, begging me to disobey her. Before she could process anything, I slinked my arm from her hold and ran down the steps.

"Dad promised I could!" I yelled as I ran for the path in the woods. I watched my mom stand up furiously from the step, but when I looked back again, she was smiling, shaking her head at me. I let out the breath I was holding in at that, thankful I wasn't about to get the silent treatment when I came back.

Then, I was free.

Entering the forest smacked me with this feeling of relief. It penetrated straight through my chest, filling my lungs with this carefree wind that settled my busy mind.

I missed this.

Being stuck in a car for three, almost four days straight, only staying at hotels on the sides of busy interstate highways. I felt like shit being away from trees for so long if I'm being honest. Withdrawal was the only word that came to my mind (as silly as it was).

But running along this path, watching the golden sun push through the tree leaves, flashing occasionally in my eyes. It was beautiful. Like a shining diamond sitting in the sky, peaking at me, waiting to share its warm rays with the world.

And I could hear them. The tree angels. They sang even louder than at home. The trees in these woods were so healthy, so tall and full of life. Their healing waves spread over my skin like butter, lathering me in a bliss of tranquility.