Chapter 3 - Fifteen Myrtleberry Lane

And so, the journey began.

We left by noon the next day, which was a day earlier than expected. The drive was forty-one hours—North Carolina to Oregon—so we tried splitting it into three days. I know, it seems like a lot, but it wasn't so bad with my family all happy and together again. Most of the time we just caught up with each other... or mostly, caught up with dad.

He told us about all the movies he's watched in his bedroom. Even told me a couple old ones he said I had to watch. Some movie called Moonstruck. Apparently Cher is in it, so that's always a good sign.

We were finishing up the last stretch of driving today. Dad thought we could get to Oregon last night, but we had to add an extra day to our adventure 'cause he didn't take into account the traffic. We're right near Ashland now. Hopefully we'll get to our new home before dinner time... if it even exists.

See, the GPS won't show us where our house is because, according to the ancient piece of technology, Fifteen Myrtleberry Lane doesn't exist! I don't know if it's 'cause we're way out in the boonies or if it's because the house is more recent than the GPS, but either way, we might be in trouble.

"There! Stop there! We can go ask for directions." Mom pointed frantically at a small corner store on the edge of the road. Dad slowed down, squinting at the place before giving my mom an apprehensive look.

"You sure? It looks kind of... rusty," he said quietly. Mom scoffed.

"It's cute! Pull over. The family stores are always the best ones," she defended, happy to defend the small businesses of America. Dad obeyed her quite easily. I stared at the store for a while before I got out. It was made of brick, positioned on the corner of two streets named Supine and Dunbar.

The building was pretty attractive aside from the big old sign rusting at the corners. The shop had that old-timey, community-oriented feel. Definitely a local's store, that's for sure. There was nothing commercial about this place. I mean for one, it was called the "Corner Store". That's it. Not any fancy name like Dave's Discount Emporium or anything. Just the corner store.

Jingling from the bells on the door sang like Christmas as we walked inside. Immediately we were hit with an aroma of slight mothballs and honey, a smell I wasn't sure how I felt about. In a way it was comforting, like grandma's house or something, but to less tolerant folk I'm sure it was a little unwelcoming.

Behind the counter was a stern, burly woman. I couldn't tell if she was real muscular or real fat. It might've been something in between, but the mystery had the gears turning in my head. She had this wild, unhinged red hair—real short and all, but thrown in every way known to man.

Her eyes were this crazy bright blue, they shot through the room like electricity as she met our faces. Our presence had her hopping out of her stool, eager to help us out.

"Hey there, strangers! Welcome!" she spoke wildly. The enthusiasm she belted almost knocked me over. I know my mom felt the same way 'cause she had this secret judgy look hidden behind her eyes. I nudged her side to make her stop.

"Hello!" Mom tried to greet peacefully after giving me a look. I don't think the store woman cared. She hurried towards us like the world was ending.

"Y'all look new here. Names Kiersten. Kiersten Holly. What can I do you for?" Kiersten jutted her hand out straight for my mom, with a smile as bright as the sun and a gravitational pull about the same.

"Hi, we were actually hoping you could help us with some directions," dad piped up shyly. He took his newsboy hat off as he started talking like we were living in the twenties or something. Kiersten bobbed her head.