Recap of Events

Hi everyone! My life got very busy and I had to step away from this story for a while, so I wanted to write a recap of what's happened so far incase you need it. Feel free to skip this part if you want. It became a lot longer than I had anticipated LOL

There's a recap of last chapter & a recap of the whole book—read whichever you need.

*     *     *

Excerpt from the end of the last chapter:

As I neared the Auden's home, I saw Logan leaning over Avery's jeep in their driveway, slowly pulling at something with a wrench. I didn't want to speak to him. I wanted to ignore everyone and go straight to confronting Avery, but he looked up and I immediately stuttered in my step.

His face was ghostly pale. Sweat was dripping from his forehead. His movements were lazy and slow. His eyes were struggling to stay open.

"Logan, are you alright?" I asked. I looked towards the sun and back at him and realized he might be suffering from heat exhaustion.

"Yeah, I'm—"

He gagged. I stopped moving completely. He swallowed, faced the jeep, then gagged again and puked onto the metal parts inside the car. It was pink and foamy and smelled so strongly I could smell the acid from here. I rushed over to him as he gagged again. I helped him sit down.

Looking to my left, there was a bottle of water near the garage door. I hurried to grab it and shoved it into his hand.

"Drink, drink. I think you're overheating." I helped him guide the bottle to his lips. He managed to drink some, but a minute later he threw it up again. There were chunks of food in the throw-up. It was slimy and dripped from his lips. He was too dazed to wipe it off his mouth.

I needed to get help. This wasn't normal... unless the books I've read about people like them aren't true? Do they not heal quickly? Are their bodies effected by heat the same as humans? It makes sense. Animals suffer from heat exhaustion the same as humans do. Nothing is immune to it.

"I'm going to get help," I said quietly. Logan nodded and leaned his head against Avery's jeep, gagging repeatedly as if he had the hiccups. I heard him throw up again as I left him there. The liquid hit the ground in a putrid, thick splat.

I ran inside, yelling for Jo Auden, hoping desperately she would know what to do.

*     *     *

Recap of the entire book so far:

The Madison's are a troubled family that moved across the country to start a new life. Cherry (nickname for Charity) Madison suffered a miscarriage of her second daughter, which sent her into a spiral of depression and her husband, Arthur, back to the comforts of alcoholism. This fresh start was supposed to help the family back on their feet.

The Madison's new home was gifted to them by Nelly's great uncle Charles (Arthur's grandfather's brother) who passed away recently. Their cousins wanted the home, but Charles' wife, Paula, made sure the deed of the home made it to the Madison's.

When they arrive in Oregon they find their small new town is full of eccentric, interesting people. They met the Holly's--Kiersten and Keating, who run the corner store at the center of town. Upon first visit to the Madison's new home, Kiersten gave them a shotgun and told them to be weary of the monsters in the woods.

Then there's the Auden's--Jo, Logan, Avery, Bodie, and another child Jo only mentioned once in passing that Nelly has never met or seen.

Both mother's, Jo and Cherry, hit it off instantly. Avery and Nelly share a special bond, which Nelly realizes early on. She assumes it's what love is supposed to feel like, as she's never actually experienced love before. She tried with men but none of those relationships lasted very long because she was never really interested in them. Despite not being surprised she's attracted to a woman, she feels unsure of it still, because one of the first days in Oregon, her father and her went to a diner and he made a very homophobic remark to a gay couple sitting near them.