Chapter 12 - The Lake

If I had to guess everyone's favorite past-time in this town, it would be lying. Lying straight to your face like you don't even matter. Like you aren't smart enough to pick up that something just isn't right around here.

When mom and I turned into our driveway, there was a visitor waiting for me on my front steps like the whole damn town had already filled each other in about what happened at the corner store. 

Avery's nervousness was overwhelmingly loud. I felt it so strongly it gave me the shivers. She whipped her head to the truck as it started pulling in the drive and we locked eyes faster than I could blink. I instantly got so flustered I almost had to re-swallow my lunch.

She had her hair in a ponytail with wisps hanging out like she had thrown it up in a real big hurry. She was wearing clothes that looked about two sizes too big. A plain black t-shirt and grey sweat-shorts that ended above her knees. I wouldn't have been able to see the shorts if she was standing. The gigantic shirt would've covered them up completely.

I narrowed my eyes. I had never seen her in clothes like that. I know I haven't known her that long and styles change, but they didn't even look like her clothes. Her outfits are usually tomboyish in a cute way—with fitted shorts and overalls, and t-shirts that are boxy but not overly baggy.

The closer we got, the more unusual her appearance became. She had a smudge of dirt on her arm and cheek and her bare feet were all dirty like she had been running around outside most of the morning. She was rubbing her foot with her toe, more than likely to calm her nerves.

When my mom put the car into park, Avery shot up with her hands behind her back. Our eyes were still locked onto each other. I hesitated to get out of the truck because my body was a tizzy of sparklers erupting under my skin. I could barely get myself to form a coherent thought with all these extra emotions jumping around in my head.

"Hi," she breathed. I shut the car door behind me softly.

"Hi," I returned. She smiled and the fuzzies just kept on getting worse. I could barely feel my knees. Calling them jelly legs would be an understatement. "What are you doing here?" I asked. She opened her mouth to answer me, but closed it as her gaze shifted. I turned around to find Logan heading up the driveway.

"Afternoon, Mrs. Madison. Heard you might like some help with that furniture?" he said to my mom. I watched my mom lean against the truck and twirl her hair around her pointer finger. Oh, brother.

"Hi there, Logan. I sure would! Help me get this dresser out here now," Mom cooed. Logan whipped out the most shining smile I've seen him give in a while. I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things, because as I remember, just last night he was pouty and sad.

I felt a presence next to me and turned to find Avery only about a foot away. My cheeks flushed instantly as a cold flash tensed all my muscles.

This was so weird. 

I felt like I was in limbo. My body was reacting to Avery's presence like I had the fattest crush on her, as it always does, but my mind was elsewhere. Somewhere far away. I was here, but I also wasn't. It was like I was watching myself from the clouds.

"Do you... want to talk about it?" Avery murmured. I eyed her. Did she really hear about what happened at Kiersten's store? I should've been more surprised but I needed time to process this stuff. Too many weird, unexplainable things have happened lately.

I sighed, "So you heard?"

"I'm really sorry you feel like that." Her eyes held so much meaning to them.

"Why? It's not your fault," I said. Avery clenched her jaw as she glared at the ground. It looked like she was holding back a waterfall of words. I felt her anger prickle the nape of my neck.