Chapter 17: Halloween

"Happy Halloween Clara!"

Chloe walked up to Clara with a beaming grin on her face and Clara put down the bale of hay she was stacking to give her a hug. It was Monday 31st October 2005 and Smallville as always was getting into the spirit of things. The closest farm to the High School, Mr Jefferson's, always provided bales of hay and a patch of disused land for the annual Horror Hay Maze. It was usually the senior teenagers who pitched in together to construct it, and they got extra credit for participating in a community activity. Clara was currently helping to construct the outer wall along with Tommy Jefferson, who was Mr Jefferson's son and graduated last year, he'd decided to stay on his father's farm. She noticed he kept glancing her way when she lifted the hay. She supposed he was surprised by her strength, although Clara was moving far slower and with far less bales of hay than she would at home. This was like picking up a flower to her. Clara's mind couldn't comprehend the fact that Tommy Jefferson was not amazed by her strength, but by her cleavage and how her t-shirt rode up when she lifted a bale. She had unbuttoned and rolled the sleeves up on her plaid over shirt in order to give the impression that she was hot from work, but she hadn't realised that blue scoop neck t-shirt clung in a very flattering way. Tommy busied himself with the hay when he saw Chloe approach, his ears went pink when she looked at him pointedly, Chloe didn't miss a trick.

"I see our Horror Maze is coming along! Smile!"

Chloe snapped a shot of Clara, with a crooked grin, wild waving hair and a relaxed stance by the assembling wall; she'd be featuring it in this week's Torch.

Tommy was called away by his sister, a red headed girl around Clara's age called Judy who she saw occasionally in class. Chloe took this as a moment to speak more openly with Clara.

"So, have you decided on your costume yet?"

"My Mum is making me something; she says it's a surprise. She's always made my costumes, though she never lets me see them beforehand. She knows I want a cape though."

"Last year your Dorothy costume was awesome! I will look forward to seeing this year! I, unlike you, have used the wonders of the internet, and you shall have the company of Alice tonight."

"I can definitely imagine you with the Alice band, not the apron though; I don't think I've ever seen you cook."

Chloe lightly tapped Clara's arm "I'll have you know I'm a great cook!"

"So, do you know if a certain billionaire is coming tonight?"

Clara gave Chloe a slightly affronted look.

"What makes you think I'd know?"

"Because you've been texting him every day for the last week two weeks since your "geek day" and you keep getting that goofy look on your face."

Clara was about to retort when she thought better of it, you could never win with Chloe.

Clara sighed "I told him about it, I don't know if this is his style. I told him it was costume optional but we'll see, he's been investigating some break-ins at buildings his father owns in the area."

"Was anything taken?"

Chloe had her reporters' hat on now.

"Only a few minor pieces of equipment, nothing important, but he says it looks like they were looking for something else."