Chapter 20: Pre-game Routine

Clara sat in the passenger seat of her father's truck, feeling the jostling of the road tugging at her seatbelt. Technically she didn't need to wear one, any accident she had would have no effect, but her parents had always insisted on it. She looked over at her father, his golden hair was waving to the rhythm of the truck, he'd let it grow a little lately, like he did every winter, to keep the cold off his neck. The radio was on an easy listening station, the windows were rolled up and the air smell of earth and grass, just like her father. Her mum told her she used to fall asleep on her father all the time growing up, listening to his heartbeat and breathing him in. Clara always associated her father's smell with safety; he was the big man who would protect her from everything. He had taken a child from a field, raised her as his own, and kept his silence about her origins, to protect her. Not everyone would or could do that for a stranger. This is why Clara knew her father was the greatest man alive and also why she held him in the highest esteem, and valued his opinions.

So, when her father began to talk about Lois Lane, no matter how painful the subject, Clara knew she had to listen.

"Clara, ever since you were little you've never been able to hide what you feel. You wear your heart on your sleeve; you're like me in that respect. So, it isn't hard to figure out that whenever Lois Lane comes to town you become very upset. I know that you don't want to talk about it, but it's been getting worse, and I feel I need to talk to you about it."

Clara looked over at her father, who had pulled into a lay by, and was now facing her.

"You've never really been comfortable with ambition, our way of life is simple, and Lois Lane is the most ambitious young woman I've ever come across. I know she makes you uncomfortable, and I can't force you to like someone, but I can make you look at things from another point of view. You don't have to be friends with Lois, but understand that probably a lot of the things she says are not entirely directed at you. You may find that you and Lois are more alike than you think, we are often the most critical of people who remind us of ourselves. I know your mother and I taught you not to judge, try not to let your memories and experiences of Lois cloud you to who she may really be, and try and get her to do the same."

Clara nodded sullenly, she still didn't like Lois Lane, but if her father was suggesting that all her experience had more than one explanation, then there might be something in it.

Maybe Lois Lane wasn't the terrible person she thought she was, anyone Chloe loved had to have good in them.

O

nly time would tell.

But Lois Lane still got under her skin in the worst way.

...

"Come on, hustle! We've got a big game on Thursday! Earn your Turkey!"

Jason Teague stood at the sidelines of the field, shouting orders at his team. It was the day before the Smallville traditional Turkey Bowl against rivals the Lawrence High school Chesty Lions. The rivalry was legendary, dating back to the late 1800's when both towns had been in their infancy. Jason smiled as Lucas ran past, flashing him a grin as he ran laps, he was definitely happier since he broke up with that Whitney girl, she wasn't doing so great though if the rumour mill was true.

Coach Arnold was conspicuous in his absence, lately he'd become broody and sullen, and the power control freak Jason has known had become quiet and withdrawn. Perhaps it was the season, Coach Arnold had no family or children, his life was the game. But then again, perhaps Coach Arnold had something up his sleeve that would come back to bite Jason in the ass. In the meantime, he had complete control of the team.