Chapter 40: Admitting Feelings

The first thing Clara Kent knew the morning after the Winter Formal was pain, a throbbing ache in her head exacerbated by the blaring sounds of the world around her. She could hear cars on the road about 20 miles off, the morning chorus of the birds like blaring car alarms, and the sound of her parents coming in from doing their morning chores like a herd of elephants. Clara tentatively opened her eyes only to slam them shut in agony as light pierced through her optic nerves like hot needles, and she became aware that her mouth was as dry as a desert. The bedclothes grated on her like sand paper as she threw her arm across her eyes and felt the world spin around her like she was in a maelstrom. Clara bravely lowered her protective arm to see she was wearing her favourite cow print pyjamas, and her formal dress was hung up forlornly on the back of the door, the formerly pristine blue stained a pinkish-purple around the edges.

The sight of the dress caused a flood of disjointed images to flash across Clara's addled brain. She tried to make sense of them, she'd gone to the dance, taken the pictures and then...then she'd gone to get some punch. That's where it got hazy, she'd felt good, warm, excited, she'd argued with Chloe, then, then she'd run as fast as she could, exhilarated by the speed. But she'd been lonely, she wanted something, no, someone, she'd gone to Lex's house. Yes, that was it, she'd gone to Lex's house and she'd...

Oh Jeez, she'd kissed Lex!

Clara shot upright and tried to ignore the now familiar nausea that followed. It all came flooding back, how she'd flirted with Lex, kissed him, caressed him, confessed her feelings for him, destroyed his phone and how he'd looked after her while she was ill until her parents came for her. Why had she done that?! Oh he must think she was a complete hussy! How could she ever face him again? What about her parents?! Did they know what she'd done? Had Lex told them?!

Clara became so wrapped up in her internal worry and chastisement she nearly jumped out of her skin when her Mom knocked lightly on the door.

"Clara sweetie, are you up? There's some breakfast and Tylenol waiting for you downstairs if you want them"

Ah, so they weren't going to let her stay up here and wallow.

"O-Okay Mom, I'll be down in a minute" Clara said, surprised by the raspy nature of her voice.

There was no avoiding it, her parents obviously wanted to talk about what happened. Maybe they knew what was in the punch? She'd have to face them to find out, but first, a shower and some clothes. Clara experimentally put her feet on the floor and stood up, wobbling slightly, she thought to any onlookers she would have closely resembled a newborn calf finding its legs for the first time. Now she was upright she took a few steps to her dresser and pulled out the clothes she needed, and found the world wasn't spinning anymore. She hurried to the bathroom and spent 15 minutes with the hot water trickling over her, hoping it would abate the aches in her body, and delay the unpleasant meeting downstairs. She watched as a pale pink substance fell off her skin into the drain and realised that must be what had stained the dress, but what was it? Finally, once she was dried and dressed, there was no avoiding the inevitable and she walked downstairs barefoot, heavily supported by the balustrade.

Clara was greeted by the sight of her parents sitting at the kitchen table, and a fresh plate of toast.

"Good morning" said her Mom, indicating for her to sit "How's your head? You should take the Tylenol first, hopefully it helps, though we're not sure how human drugs work with your biology."