iv.

FLO'S LIMP BODY LAID ON THE BED IN A COLD ROOM. evelyn watched over her, placing her washcloth down. she just finished washing up her arms and hands, which were full of sap and pieces of the forest.

the mother tucked her in a little bit more, making sure she was warm enough in the cold basement, before going up the stairs.

regan greeted her at the top, awaiting for her mother to give her an update on the girl.

"how is she?" regan asked.

"she's still out. i suppose she'll be up soon though." evelyn replied, and then stroked her daughters hair.

the two girls went outside and saw lee and marcus, getting ready to leave.

"is she ok?" marcus asked his mother, and evelyn smiled.

"she's not up yet. she will be by the time you get back though." evelyn assured him, smiling at him.

lee kneeled down to marcus, adjusting his bag before they left.

"i don't want to go." marcus objected, scared of what would happen.

and also a little bit worried about the pretty girl with the blue bat that had showed up to their house.

"there's nothing to be scared of." lee assured him.

"...of course there is."

regan walked up and stood by her father.

"i'll go." regan offered.

lee stood up off the ground and in front of his daughter, "i need you to stay and help your mother with the girl."

regan was upset with this response, and lee walked to evelyn and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"i want to go." regan stated to her father.

"just say here. you'll be safe." lee told his daughter.

regan was not happy with this answer, and stormed off into the corn field.

evelyn looked over at her husband with a disapproving look.

"...next time." lee promised his wife, turning and beginning to walk on the trail, leaving marcus behind.

"can you make sure she's ok?" marcus asked his mother.

evelyn nodded with her crossed arms, "regan just needs a little time to cool off."

"not regan. well, kind of. but the girl." marcus asked.

evelyn smiled, "of course."

marcus smiled at his mother one last time, before turning and catching up with his dad.

••••

FLO'S EYES FINALLY OPENED after an hour from passing out. she noticed that she was face to face with a newspaper wall, which caused her to squint her eyes at it.

she turned to her other side and saw she was in a basement, probably of the farm she had ran to. flo sighed in awe, feeling herself relax in the bed.

hearing footsteps come down the stairs. she turned and saw a green dress at the persons feet. and when they got closer, flo realized that it was a blonde woman. she was a very pretty one as well, and had a pregnant stomach. the woman was carrying a cup of water, probably for flo.

the blonde woman got closer to flo, and then kneeled down in front of her, handing her the water. flo took it with shaking hands and took a sip, as it relieved her dry throat.