vi.

THE THREE HAD JUMPED OUT OF THE SILO AND ONTO THE WET GRASS, wanting to be anywhere but that corn full of flo's blood.

but the moment they jumped off, they saw a glare of a flashlight.

lee.

flo just knew that marcus was silently cheering. he knew his dad would come. he just knew it! the two siblings ran up to their father and jumped into his arms, not having a care in the world if they were mad at him, or horrified by what they just saw. they were just relieved to see their dad.

flo stood behind them with a smile and dried tears on her cheeks. lee had noticed the bloody piece of her flannel wrapped around her hand, and he looked at her confused.

"it's fine." flo whispered.

after making sure his kids were okay, lee smiled.

his smiled was soon flooded over with fear, as the sound of a creature's snarl was heard in the distance.

lee placed a finger over his lips, while flo turned to see the creature. it wasn't anywhere in sight, but she knew it was close.

walking closer to the family in a way of saying 'yeah, i'm terrified,' flo stood close to them, as marcus shined his flashlight around to see if he could see the creature.

"let's go to the truck." lee signed, as his children followed. flo didn't get it at first, but then became aware of what they were doing, so she followed behind them in a running pace.

regan had slid under the truck, while marcus and flo took the front, flo in the passenger seat's leg room, and marcus spread across the seats.

lee stood in the middle of it all, shining his flashlight around him in any hope of seeing the creature. he walked towards the repair vehicles and grabbed an axe and walked out into the open again.

and just as he turned away from the shelter, a snarl was heard.

lee turned around quickly and faced the creature, who took a swing at him, sending him flying across the dirt road.

marcus had opened the door and looked at the fight happening.

"dad!"

flo could tell by the pain in his scream that it was serious, so she got up onto the seats and looked at what was happening, while regan rushed over to the two and hopped into the truck.

they hid under the seats panicking that they were about to be attacked, before regan's hand rushed to her ear, gripping it harshly.

before she let go.

and the moment she did...everything went to hell.

"regan!" marcus screeched, as he pulled flo down with him.

regan turned to the window right as the creature broke it, glass flying everywhere.

the creature continued to rock the vehicle back and forth, causing the kids inside of it to panic and grip on for dear life.

flo thought she couldn't die. not now. she needed to get home to see if her mom was okay. she needed to give rose a proper burial. she needed to win that softball game. there were too many things she had to do, but it was all coming to and end.

slowly but surely.

and all she could do was close her eyes, as she was slowly being pushed closer and closer to her death.

but the rocking stopped. even though it did, flo's eyes never opened.

until a heart-breaking scream was heard.

the creature flew off of the truck, and marcus put it in drive, leaving regan to stare at her dying father.

••••

ONCE THE THREE HAD MADE IT BACK, they all ran out of the truck, and all jumped into evelyn's arms.

flo didn't care that eveyln wasn't her mom. she missed hers every single day. her single, badass, cigarette-smelling mother that she wished would give her a big hug sometimes.

evelyn hugged all of the children tightly, relieved to see them alive, as she sobbed quietly into their shoulders.

the moment was cut short by another screech and clacking.

eveyln slowly cut short the hug and pushed the kids inside and to the basement, carrying a shotgun with her.

marcus and flo followed her, while regan stood at the top of the staircase.

evelyn quickly pushed flo and marcus into a corner where they would be safer than evelyn and regan.

quickly rushing towards her newborn, evelyn came back to the two and gave them her baby.

marcus held him in his arms, and despite the terrifying moment, he was happy. he was happy he was holding his baby brother, so he smiled at evelyn.

flo stared at the baby boy with a smile as well, as evelyn threw a half-used gauze to her.

flo smiled at the mother and took off her flannel part, throwing it onto the ground.

beginning to wrap it around her hand, she winced at the slight pain it caused. she didn't disinfect it, which could be bad. but she could care less.

tucking it in, she turned towards marcus, who was still smiling.

"do you think...you're gonna have a hole in your hand?"marcus finally whispered to her.

flo smiled, "i think that would be pretty cool. maybe i could stick a pencil through it-"

"stop it."

"or a balloon-"

"shhh..." marcus giggled, as flo did it along with him. she was happy to see the boy smiling.

their little laughing session was cut short when the sounds of someone walking upstairs was heard.

the two had crowded together, not wanting to be noticed by the creature. flo's hair touched marcus' shoulder, which made butterflies erupt in him.

the two watched as the creature walked down the steps, and then towards evelyn and regan.

evelyn held her shotgun up at it, and turned to marcus and flo, shaking. she looked at them once, making sure they were okay, before bringing her focus back to the creature.

the television static was getting louder as the creature got closer to it, which caused its ears to open up and listen closely.

it's shirked and then attacked them, knocking them all down and yelling as it did.

when it was done, it began closing in on evelyn and regan, causing them to back up out of fear.

marcus and flo huddled together closer, in hopes of not being noticed. but as the creature shrieked more and more, the baby became stressed. which caused marcus to become stressed as well.

and just as regan ripped her earpiece off, flo threw her arms around marcus and the baby, while the sound of the high-pitched squeal when throughout the house.

the creatures head ripped apart, and then crashed into the wall behind it, falling onto the ground.

regan brought her earpiece away from the loudspeaker.

flo took a sigh of relief, and closed her eyes as she hugged marcus and the baby.

her peaceful moment was ruined by the creature snarling once more, and evelyn's shotgun going off along with it.

once the creature had officially died, the lights turned back on. the house was quiet once again. and most importantly, the security cameras were back on.

evelyn watched them horrified, seeing the two creatures run towards the house.

regan turned towards the loudspeaker and turned it up all the way, bringing it towards herself.

turning towards her mom for a sign of agreement, evelyn nodded, and loaded up her shotgun once again.

END OF ACT I.