i.

THE TOWN WAS LOUD.

everyone was there and getting ready for a baseball game, followed by a softball game scrimmage. the softball game was a last-second thing planned by the home team. they invited a team that lived about 30 minutes away, and they happily said yes.

a green truck drove down the road, a softball bag in the back crashing around. a mother smoking a cigarette drove, singing KISS at the top of her lungs, while a 13 year old girl sat next to her with a pale face.

florence was close to throwing up. the smell of the cigarette her mother jane was smoking, the loud music in her ears, and jane's rough driving mixed together did not result in a good mood. flo had a stomach ache and horrible headache.

"you okay?!" jane yelled over the music, turning to her eldest daughter.

"i'm gonna be sick!" flo yelled back, smiling sarcastically afterward.

"oh, come on! you cant be sick before a game!" jane teased, rolling down her window so flo could get some fresh air.

"actually..." flo started, swallowing quickly after the feeling of puke rising in her throat, "a lot of girls have been sick before! beth, ella, even avery!"

"avery had thrown up before? she looks too much like plastic...i wouldn't expect it!" jane yelled over the music, causing flo to burst out laughing.

reaching for the volume to turn it down, flo turned towards her little sister, who was sitting in the back. in her car seat, her head was resting on her shoulder, sleeping softly. flo smiled and breathed through her nose, turning her attention to her mother again.

and she couldn't have focused on her mother any sooner. the moment jane saw a man holding a bag of oranges in one hand and plastic cups and water in the other, she winked at him and wiggled her fingers.

"mom! stop it!" flo yelled, and nudged her arm harshly, "he literally has a ring on his finger!"

"so what? i can be a mistress-"

"hell no." flo laughed, as her mother flicked her burnt-out cigarette through the window.

••••

A CRACK OF THE BALL WAS HEARD as the stanford's climbed out of their truck. flo's legs wobbled as she did, but then walked to the back of the truck to grab her softball bag

"hey! stanfords!" a blonde girl yelled out to them, as she ran up to flo.

that was avery taylor. flo had always been jealous of her. she had a beautiful face, beautiful hair, beautiful body, and a great personality. she had many boyfriends in the past, and broken all of their hearts. and now at age 13, she had broken 5 boys hearts in 2 years.

"oh. hello, avery." jane smiled at the girl, while rose played with her mother's necklace.

"hey jane! flo, all the girl as watching the game! wanna come sit with us?" avery asked.

"sure. i'll meet you there." flo smiled softly, as avery ran away.

turning to her mother with a weak smile, jane laughed.

"she broke up with jason, by the way." flo said.

"what?! i thought they were doing good!" jane said in shock.

"yup. so if you see her flirting with anyone, it's fine." flo sighed, tying up her long hair.

"good to know. see ya later." jane said, kissing her daughter's head.

flo ran over to her team, who was sitting on a bleacher behind the first base dugout.

throwing her bag on the ground and sitting next to avery, who began ranting about the cute boy that was just up to bat, flo focused on the game.