||03||

•03•

ELISE'S POV

For the week I have been staying with my brother, it has become too difficult for me to stay angry with him. Every morning he would cook before leaving for work. He had two days off during which he went to get me. But now he has returned to his work. While dinner he always tries to make small talks in hope that I would tell him something about my life. I keep quiet.

In the past week, I have found out a lot about my brother and the years of his life I missed. My brother works as the assistant to one of the biggest lawyers of the state and earn a handsome amount of money. He had purchased the house not even a month ago and I could see the packed boxes in the house. He used to live with some boys in an apartment until then. Lately he has been in contact with Davis whom he met during a meeting for his boss which was in Davis’ restaurant. When Dad learnt that Lee is buying a house he proposed to do it for his ‘kids’. So he was in contact with Dad and Mom and every fucking person in this world except me.

“I will be going to the mall before work today, will you come with me?” he asked hopefully. I knew he was hurt with my indifference. I could see it in his eyes but what did he expect from me? I will welcome him with open arms after so long. A day is long enough for a person to change and I had five freaking years. Five years to watch my life going down the drain. I felt bad for him if he expected the happy and joyful girl he left because I am not that anymore.

I was about to refuse his offer when I realized I needed stuff. I didn’t have that many clothes me. I didn’t get time to pack properly when mother threw me out. I have been cooped inside my room for days and I have nothing to pass my time. Lately I have helping arranging the house since cleaning has never been lee’s thing. He can cook but cleaning… he doesn’t know how to do that. Lord knows how he managed all these years. However back to issue, the unpacking will be done in a few days and then what? 

“Okay.” I said picking up our plates and going to rinse them.

“Okay?” he sounded surprised that I agreed to go with him after giving him the cold shoulder for a week straight.

“I need some stuff and I also need a job to pay you back for letting me live here.”

There was a moment’s silence after which he spoke.

“You don’t have to pay. I am your brother. I am meant to take care of you.” He spoke. I didn’t need to look at him to see him hurt.

“Oh really?” I asked raising my eyebrow at him with bitterness in my voice and I regretted it instantly. He flinched at my bitter tone. 

I saw him turn around and walk towards the door. I had expected him to leave but he turned to look at me just before walking out.

“I am waiting for you in the car.” He said with a smile.

I took a moment to compose myself. Why was I acting so bitchy? I am not like that. I never even spoke back to Our mother, to Luke, to everyone at high school. I am not rude. Then why I am hurting Lee.

I looked down at my black jeans skirt and white t shirt with grey stripes on it and white sneakers. Deciding it was alright, I locked the house and went out to the car. I know I should have dressed better, more my age, but I don’t care what other think about me. I wear what I want.

Lee was waiting for me in his car. I climbed in and he started driving. The drive was silent and awkward and I jumped out of the car as soon as he stopped the car. He picked up some things and asked for my opinion on certain things. Since I was feeling guilty for how I acted this morning I decided to cooperate. Soon we were in clothing department and we went our separate way to purchase our stuff.