IX

[Power Broker]

The Avengers made their way to Berlin, Germany to talk to Zemo. They arrived at a prison and were led down a corridor by a guard.

"He's just through that corridor," the guard informed, looking back to the three.

"Give us a sec," Bucky replied as the guard walked away. "I'm gonna go in alone."

Adalyn frowned. "No. You're not going alone."

"Why?" Sam asked, looking Bucky up and down as he pocketed his hands.

"Because you're an Avenger. Ada, you're a former S.H.I.E.L.D agent," Bucky reasoned. "You know how he feels about that."

Adalyn shook her head. "I haven't been a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent for a long time."

"It's not like you two, three if you count Ada, were known for frolicking in the sun together," Sam said.

"He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together. I got it. Ada's going with me."

Bucky and Adalyn followed after the guard and as they continued down the corridor, it grew progressively darker. The guard said codes to the camera to get them further in and the door opened with a buzz. Bucky and Adalyn went into the room. The walls seemed to have barbs sticking out. There was a glass door and wall. A rectangular ray of light shined on the ground, which held Zemo's feet and hands.

As Bucky walked closer to the glass, Zemo began saying in Russian, "Longing. Rusted." He stood, revealing his face. "Seventeen." He turned to Adalyn and said, also in Russian, "Eight. Agent. Father."

Bucky and Adalyn answered in English, "Those days are over."

"I know. I just wanted to see how the new you reacts to the old words." He walked up to the glass and studied Bucky and Adalyn. "Something is still in there. In the both of you. But there is also a light between you both."

Bucky smiled as he glanced at Adalyn. "She's the best thing to happen to me. Without her, I don't know where I'd be."

"At least you two were not conscious for most of your imprisonment."

"That time wasn't exactly a picnic."

"Far from it," Adalyn added.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry," Zemo apologized. "It was never personal. You both were simply a means to a necessary end."

"I know someone-" He stopped himself. "Someone is recreating the Super Soldier serum. Ada and I need to find out who."

Zemo pointed between Adalyn and Bucky. "You are assuming HYDRA has something to do with this, which is why you came to me, which means you are desperate. Luckily, I know where to begin."

Bucky glanced at Adalyn. "Go join Sam. I'll be there in a moment."

Adalyn stared at Bucky with a suspicious expression before walking back to Sam who asked, "Where's Bucky?"

She shrugged. "He's up to something."

"What makes you say that?"

"He told me to go, meaning he doesn't want me to see what he's up to. I know he's up to something."

When he walked outside, he told the others about an address he'd gotten from Zemo about a possible lead. The three looked around the warehouse with flashlights.

Adalyn frowned. "Bucky, there's nothing here. Tell me and Sam what you're up to. I've been around you enough to know when you're up to something. You never send me away unless you're up to something sneaky."