XIII

[The Whole World is Watching]

WAKANDA - SIX YEARS AGO

Bucky and Adalyn sat next to a fire as Ayo stood by.

Ayo said in English, "It is time."

"You sure about this?" Bucky and Adalyn asked uncertainly as they stared at the fire.

They were drawn back to the situation at hand when Ayo said, "I won't let you two hurt anyone."

Ayo slowly walked around him as she said in Russian, "Longing." Bucky lowered his head, trying to fight the words. "Rusted." Ayo stepped closer. "Seventeen."

Bucky shook his head and said, "It's not gonna work."

Ayo continued. "Daybreak." Bucky breathed heavily and tears formed as memories of what he'd done as the Winter Soldier flashed in his mind. "Furnace." He saw Zemo closing the red book and saw himself punching the glass of his containment chamber and seeing Steve for the first time in 70 years. "Nine." He saw himself and Adalyn fighting three of the Avengers. A vision of him strapped down for brainwashing flashed across his memories. He saw himself in his goggles and mask, then saw himself crash Howard and Maria Stark's car on December 16, 1991. He saw himself choking Maria after killing Howard.

"Benign," Ayo said. He saw himself trying to pull away Iron Man's face mask. He saw the brainwashing again. He fought the words Ayo spoke. "Homecoming." He saw himself and Adalyn after beating Steve near lifeless after he'd uttered the ten words, for them both, that would alter his and Adalyn's path for the better.

Bucky continued struggling against the words as Ayo said in Russian, "One. Freight Car."

Ayo turned to Adalyn and said in Russian, "Eight. Agent. Father." Adalyn saw her father's body as she struggled against the words. "One. Seven. Scepter." She saw herself attacking her friend, then saw the brainwashing chair which ruined her life. "Nine. New York." She saw herself beating up Steve, alongside Bucky. "Heroes. Battle. Free."

Tears streamed down Bucky and Adalyn's faces as they came to the realization that they were still themselves. They started crying harder, which soon turned to sobs of joy and relief.

Ayo smiled lightly and said in English, "You are free." Bucky and Adalyn glanced up at Ayo and she nodded as her smile widened. "You are free."

Bucky and Adalyn looked down and closed their eyes tightly as they sniffled, still sobbing.

Ayo let out a breath and smiled softly at them.

Bucky and Adalyn stared at the fire, a fist to Bucky's mouth, and smiled widely. They were free from hurting others. After decades of torture and memory wipes, he was finally free. After several years of entrapment and having her memory constantly wiped, she was finally free.

Adalyn turned to Bucky and pressed a soft kiss to his cheek. In return, Bucky gently turned her face to his and kissed her.

RIGA, LATVIA - STREET - PRESENT DAY

"How could you free him?" Ayo asked.

"We need his help," Adalyn answered in Xhosa.

Ayo walked around Bucky and Adalyn. "With time, will, and the resources, the Winter Soldier and the Dark Phantom programming was removed from you like a rotten fur."

"And we're grateful for that," Bucky replied. "We're grateful for everything you and Shuri have done..." He glanced at Adalyn, knowing that because of what Ayo and Shuri had done, that despite the nightmares, they were able to have a life together.