Post-Blip Two

Two months after Endgame/Four months before The Falcon and The Winter Soldier

Adalyn pulled out her sketchbook and a picture of her father. She began sketching him and as she did so, her tears stained the paper. She wiped them from the paper and continued drawing.

When she finished, she looked at the picture and her lip quivered.

Bucky walked into the room and saw Adalyn's expression. "Ada, what is it? What'd you draw?"

Without a word, she turned the picture and he asked softly, "Is that your dad?"

Adalyn nodded slowly. "I miss him so much. If he'd seen what I became, he'd be ashamed."

"Ada, your father could never be ashamed of you."

"You don't know that."

"You're right. I don't. But a father is supposed to love his child no matter what, right? I think your father would understand."

Adalyn tilted her head and sighed. "Maybe. I don't know. It doesn't matter."

"Of course it matters."

"Stop!" She paused a moment. "I'm sorry."

Bucky sat her down in front of him, then sat himself before asking, "What happened to you father, Ada? If, uh, if you don't want to answer, you don't have to."

Adalyn started fiddling with her fingers as she said, "Um, my dad was killed."

"I know. You've told me."

She sniffled. "By Loki. By the time Director Fury and I got there, it was too late for Coulson and my father. Buck, I never said goodbye. Never told him I loved him one last time. There's so much I wanted to say. So much I never got to say!"

Bucky, not sure what to say, took her hands and brought them close to him. He kissed her hands gently then said, "I think he knew, Ada. I'm sorry to hear about your father."

"I still dream about him, you know. The day he died, the way he was killed."

He pulled her closer to him. "I know. I remember when your nightmares of him started. You were inconsolable."

"You've always been able to help keep those nightmares away."

Adalyn cuddled closer to Bucky and rested her head on his chest. Bucky ran a gentle arm up and down her back as he rested his head on hers.

Bucky picked up her drawing. "This is good. You know, Steve was an artist. He and I went to art school. I was never as good as him." He studied her drawing. "He looks happy."

"He could always find something to be happy about." She glanced up at Bucky. "You really think it's good?"

"Yeah, I do, Ada. You're incredibly talented."

Adalyn's cheeks flushed red as she mumbled, "Thank you."

"Doll, you don't have to be so humble about it. But I love that humility."

"I'm humble because I am. Keeps me grounded. But thank you."

Bucky laughed softly and took her sketch. "How 'bout we frame this, huh?"

Adalyn nodded slowly. "Uh, sure. Do we have a picture frame? Wait, I think we do." She ran to a small closet and smiled. "Found one!"

While Adalyn opened the picture frame, Bucky gently set her drawing in, then the two closed the frame.

Bucky hung the picture on the wall and stood back next to Adalyn. She took his hand and rested her head against his arm.

He pulled her in front of him wrapped his arms around her, resting his head on hers once again.

The two stared at the picture she'd drawn in a peaceful silence.