XVI

The group made their way to the street hoping Zemo wasn't too far gone. As they searched the streets, Sam's phone began ringing and he answered. "She said what? Right. Hold on, hold on. I know, I know. Listen, pack an overnight bag and take the boys."

"What happened?" Bucky and Adalyn asked.

Sam lowered the phone. "Karli called Sarah. She threatened my nephews."

Sam spoke into the phone again. "Okay. Go somewhere safe. Only pay cash. All right? Let me know when you get there. I know. Look, I love you. I'll never let anything happen to you and the boys, you know that. Okay. Bye." He hung up, looking to Bucky and Adalyn. "Karli wants to meet. She left a contact number." His phone chimed. "She said come alone."

"I'm coming with you," Bucky said.

Adalyn nodded. "I am too."

---

The three made their way back to the house and changed into their uniforms.

---

They made their way to the address Karli had sent.

"Karli!" Sam shouted, looking up to see her leaning over a railing. They walked up the walkway and around the area, Sam leading. "You called my sister? That's how we're gonna play this?"

"Sam, I would never hurt her," Karli replied. "I just wanted to understand you better." She glanced at Bucky and Adalyn who stood a ways behind Sam. "I see you, um, didn't come alone."

"You have to end this now."

"I don't wanna hurt you. You're just a tool in the regimes I'm looking to destroy. You're not hiding behind a shield. If I were to kill you, it'd be meaningless. I was gonna ask you to join me. Or do the world a favor and let me go."

Sharon, over the comms, said, "Hey, Sam, new Cap is moving, looks like he's found them, or maybe they found him."

"It's Walker," Sam informed.

Bucky and Adalyn jumped off the balcony, but Karli hit him halfway down. Adalyn narrowly avoided Karli's attack. He groaned and Adalyn narrowed her eyes at Karli.

Sam glanced at Bucky and Adalyn. "I'll send you two the location. Go!"

Bucky and Adalyn ran off.

---

Bucky and Adalyn jumped off a building ledge and ran through the streets, being chased by Karli.

Sam got to the building the Flag Smashers were hiding in, just in time to see John send a man flying through the air and over the stairs with one punch. The pipe the man was fighting with was bent and was thrown down. The man got up and ran away.

Sam stared a moment and asked, "What'd you do?"

"They've got Lemar," John answered, his stride not slowing as he walked past him.

Bucky and Adalyn ran in and attacked the Flag Smasher. Adalyn was pushed down and groaned as her back hit the wall. The Flag Smasher wrapped an arm around Bucky's neck and Bucky used a foot to push off the wall before knocking the Flag Smasher back into another wall. Bucky managed to free himself and grunted as he kicked the Flag Smasher, knocking him down the stairs.

Bucky helped Adalyn up and asked, "You good?"

Adalyn nodded. "I'm good. Let's go."

The two leapt from the stairs over the railing and landed on the ground. Bucky kicked the Flag Smasher, knocking him through a wall.

Bucky and Adalyn walked closer to the unconscious Flag Smasher and said, "Stay there."

John, Bucky, Adalyn and Sam followed the Flag Smasher into a large with windows covering the ceiling and most of the walls. When they got halfway into the room, they turned to see two more Flag Smashers jumping down. John sent the shield flying into both, but it did nothing to stop them, just knocked them off balance. Bucky twirled his knife in the air. Adalyn pulled out her guns, using the butts of them to knock a Flag Smasher back.

John fought another who pulled out a knife and asked, "What's with all the knives?"

Adalyn punched a Flag Smasher back, ducking before another could hit her and pushed him back.

John and Adalyn continued fighting. The Flag Smasher she was fighting pulled out a knife. Adalyn grabbed his wrist and threw the knife to the side.

The blade was caught by Bucky who said, "Watch where you're throwing things, Ada."

They continued fighting and one of the Smashers grabbed her from behind. Adalyn reared her leg back and kicked him, sending him to the ground with a groan. She turned to see another running directly for her and Sam.

Bucky punched them in the face, knocked them down and said, "You're welcome."

Adalyn nodded. "Thanks for that, Buck."

Karli kicked Lemar, knocking him into a pillar.

The sound of breaking concrete caught her attention and she turned to see Lemar laying in front of a pillar, his body still and his head leaning to one side.

She ran up to him and checked his pulse before lowering her head.

John rushed towards his friend, trying to wake him up. "Hey. Hey. Hey. Lemar. Lemar." He repeated his friend's name, unable to wake him. He glanced to Adalyn. "Help him."

Adalyn shook her head. "He's gone."

"You have to help him!"

"Your friend is dead!" She saw Sam and Bucky running after the Flag Smashers and muttered, "Shit."

John got up, ignoring the blonde, and ran towards one of the windows. He jumped out of it and landed on a van. John looked around and shouted, "Where is she?!"

John caught the shield and used it to knock down one of the Flag Smashers who wasn't wearing a mask.

"It wasn't me!" the man cried from the steps as he tried defending himself. "It wasn't me!"

Adalyn moved in front of the man and yelled, "Stop!"

John stared at her. "Don't make me hurt you. Move, Ada."

Adalyn punched him and in return, he knocked her down, putting his knee to her throat and she struggled to push him away. She lifted her leg and kicked him back, sliding under him as she ran away. John was too far gone.

John turned to the man and used the shield to stab him, killing him. The crowd gasped and John yelled.

Sam, Adalyn and Bucky ran up, looking in horror at the crimson tainted shield.